Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car wont start now.. what to do?

Hey guys,

Frustrated and confused at the same time.

Went to start my car this morning, car started then car just stopped.

Tried starting it again, engine doesn't want to turn over but when I put it in gear and turn the key, it wants to go.

The starter turn and I'm afraid that if I keep trying I'll burn out the starter.. there's plenty of fuel and I can't work it out. Any ideas?
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

do you have spark?
    do you have fuel pressure?
    is the timing belt intact?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Timing belt is good, not too sure about spark, flooded engine with petrol.. allowing car to settle since this morning.

Any vital parts that you think I should check?

Avg Economy:
      Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

your car is carby, correct? start with spark.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Check for spark by holding one of the plug leads near the picking hook (back of the head nearest the brake booster, it sticks up).

No spark, check plug wires and then the coil. If you can get a digital meter, check the resistance of the primary and secondary coils. High or infinite resistance indicates a burnt out coil.

If the coil checks out, the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is on the same bracket and happens to go bad. Usually slowly and intermittently though. (wait, do carbed B3s have these?)
          Last edited by crazyrog17; 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM.
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

wrong place to post but you have to give a bit more details

a) It wont turn over, does it make any noise? does the starter actually turn over the motor?
            b) When its in gear. what is it doing? are you holding down the clutch when you try start it?
            c) What engine/year/model yada yada. basically is it a b3 carby/fi or something else?

Comment

OK here are my details,

1991 ford festiva carb, B3
              When I turn the key, the starter whizzes without the clutch (clutch pressed onto floor)
              When I turn the key, the starter doesn't whiz with the clutch (clutch out and in first gear). The car feels like its spinning the wheels.
              When I turn the key, it doesn't feel like the motor is cranking at all.

It started this morning and was about to drive when it just stopped.
              Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-03-2013, 04:17 AM.

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Instead of a normal crank-crank-crank-crank-running motor you are getting a

whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzno start.

When you put the car in gear the car lurches when you crank without the whiz

You must not have a neutral safety switch, a switch on the clutch pedal that prevents cranking unless the pedal is on the floor.

If that interpretation sounds right you need to follow festYboys advise and check the timing belt-spark.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                  Instead of a normal crank-crank-crank-crank-running motor you are getting a

whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzno start.

When you put the car in gear the car lurches when you crank without the whiz

You must not have a neutral safety switch, a switch on the clutch pedal that prevents cranking unless the pedal is on the floor.

If that interpretation sounds right you need to follow festYboys advise and check the timing belt-spark.
                  All of that is correct.

Will check the spark plugs and leads now.. Feels like there's no spark down the lead at all.

There wasn't even pulsing down the dizzy cables.
                  Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-03-2013, 05:12 AM.

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                    wrong place to post but you have to give a bit more details
                    Fixed
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm at two places on this. They would be: ignition coil and starter motor.

However, my main feelings lie with the ignition coil due to the fact that there is power getting everywhere else bar the engine and spark plugs.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for that might come to mind?
                      Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM.

Avg Economy:
                      Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                        I'm at two places on this. They would be: ignition coil and starter motor.

However, my main feelings lie with the ignition coil due to the fact that there is power getting everywhere else bar the engine and spark plugs.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for that might come to mind?

Before you over think, and worry narrow the problems down.

step 1) check for spark on all 4 cylinders with the plugs in each of the cylinders

step 2) cancel/attribute spark to be the problem.

If it isnt spark. first check the timing belt. then worry about the starter.

Comment

uuuhhhhh if the engine doesn't crank, he'll never see spark (EVER), unless he pulls the dizzy and turns it manualy.

engine MUST crank first, so work on that. as it is, if the car is moving when in gear and starter turning, it isn't the starter...

double check your timing belt and verify that the cam is turning (look at your rotor under the dizzy cap).

Comment

My dad had a quick look and he was saying all the belts were turning on the side of the engine. Just checked the timing belt, it was turning too and not missing or looked loose at all.
                            Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM.

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

The distributor is frozen solid... no movement at all... looking very rusty also. Pulled the cap, checked the dizzy, no movement, but spark occurred from coil.

Going with the dizzy on this one unless someone else knows something else.

Avg Economy:
                              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Working...
                              X