So I heard a loud knocking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I heard a loud knocking noise

And I noticed that my crank pulley was wobbling like crazy. My first thought, "Oh NO! Crankshaft issues!"

I took off the A/C belt and noticed that while it was still wobbling the noise was gone.

Then I found that all four of the small bolts were loose. After tightening them up the wobbling seemed to be about 90% gone so I reinstalled the A/C belt and guess what? The knocking noise was back!

So I removed the motor mount and pulled the pulley and this is what I found:

IMAG0355.jpgIMAG0356.jpgIMAG0357.jpgIMAG0358.jpgIMAG0359.jpgIMAG0361.jpg

For the time being I just removed the A/C part of the crank pulley and am doing without but I'd really like to have air before the weather gets warm. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement pulley for my '89?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MasterTec; 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM.

holy crap!

IIRC i saw that they were available from Four Green.... (maybe?)
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I need to get in, and tighten the bolts on my crank pulley. (No A/C)

It wobbles a bit at idle, I am sure it is just loose bolts. So I better get in there before it gets worse.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
      X