Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whoops... Ran my Festy with too much oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops... Ran my Festy with too much oil...

I accidentally added about a quart too much oil during my last oil change. :nono:

Didn't realize I had done so and promptly handed the keys to my '93 L 5spd over to my mom to take the car to the pharmacy a mile or so away.

An hour later or so she calls me from her mobile, saying that she had pulled over due to the car not running correctly and white smoke coming out from under the hood. :cry_smile:

It didn't take me long to realize that I had refilled with too much oil during my last oil change. I released some excess oil, however the car is still not running well at all. It starts fine, idles fine, has good oil pressure and does not overheat. I let it idle for about 15 minutes after correcting the oil issue and noticed after it first started a fine white smoke coming out of the exhaust. After a little while (10 minutes or so) the white exhaust smoke was only a small puff every now and then.

I thought at this point the car was OK and took it for a test drive down my street. My poor Festy had basically no power at all and could barely make it back home. Still idling fine etc.

What have I done to my poor car? It was running flawlessly before this.

TIA

93L

Pull your spark plugs, check for fouling.
    1994 Honda Accord LX, 5spd

1992 Festy GL, 5spd (she be broken :/)

Comment

Sounds like a head gasket or cracked head.
      My old car did almost exactly what you're describing on 3 different occasions.
      1st time was a cracked head, 2nd and 3rd time it was a broken head gasket between cyl 2 and 3.
      Easiest way to tell I to do a compression test or open the radiator cap (when car is cold), let the car idle and see if you can see bubbles foaming up at the radiator.

There might be other causes to your problem, but I can't think of them right now. See if anyone else jumps in
      1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by kayweb View Post
        Pull your spark plugs, check for fouling.
        Not sure what fouling is, however I have already replaced the spark plugs today and it didn't help at all.

Originally posted by moz View Post
        Sounds like a head gasket or cracked head.
        My old car did almost exactly what you're describing on 3 different occasions.
        1st time was a cracked head, 2nd and 3rd time it was a broken head gasket between cyl 2 and 3.
        Easiest way to tell I to do a compression test or open the radiator cap (when car is cold), let the car idle and see if you can see bubbles foaming up at the radiator.

There might be other causes to your problem, but I can't think of them right now. See if anyone else jumps in
        I just tried the radiator bubbles test and got no bubbles. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Comment

Ditch the B3 and drop in a B6. Your troubles will disappear. Gentlemen, we have the technology. We can rebuild her. I am not joking. Get on the phone and see who has got a Mazda 323 1.6L engine. Based on the symptoms, I wouldn't waste a minute or one penny trying to figure it out. You will always regret not doing what I just told you.

There's one in Green Bay, Wisconsin and another in Columbia. South Carolina. Where are you located? Your location profile is missing!

Here you go!
          Last edited by bravekozak; 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking your catalytic converter may be contaminated with oil. Remove the oxygen sensor at the manifold and take it around the block. Yes it will be VERY LOUD but if you notice a return in power then you have a restricted exhaust.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "too much oil"? Are we talking 1 quart or 5 quarts over full?
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

He said "about a quart" overfill.
                If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTec View Post
                  I'm thinking your catalytic converter may be contaminated with oil. Remove the oxygen sensor at the manifold and take it around the block. Yes it will be VERY LOUD but if you notice a return in power then you have a restricted exhaust.
                  I would say this is a good possibilty.

Comment

I'm going to try this out once I can find an appropriate size wrench that will fit down in there

Comment

geeze..have you wiped all the oil out of the air filter and plastic tubes yet?
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                        I agree, clean up everything, clean out everything, check the catty.
                        1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                        1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                        2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                        2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                        2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                        1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                          It has a cold air intake/ricer gigantic filter and didn't see any oil in there.
                          Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                          I agree, clean up everything, clean out everything, check the catty.
                          Going to do this asap and report my findings.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

bingo
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by 93L View Post
                              I'm going to try this out once I can find an appropriate size wrench that will fit down in there
                              typicaly 22mm....
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X