Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know nothing about front end stuff.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know nothing about front end stuff.....

...I know festivas are known for front end issues. What would be the "most likely" cause for my car pulling to the left pretty hard. I know it could be a number of things but what is it usually? All I know for sure is that the tire pressure is good other than that I'm clueless to front end stuff like idler arms, sway bars, stuff like that. I have never tried to work on or learn these things but would try now. What you guys think? Thanks, Jim

Start by jacking up the front end and wiggle the tires in all directions looking for something loose. They are an incredibly strong front end for their weight.

If every thing is tight swap the front tires to see if the front pull changes in any way.
    Tires are the weakest link in the front end.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I jacked my car up the other day and grabbed the wheel at the top and bottom and pulled back and forward. It moved. Does that mean its a ball joint??

I don't have any pull to the left or right though when I'm driving.
      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

^ movement up and down would be ball joint, that wouldn't neccessarilly cause any pulling, the left to right movement would be tie rod, thats where it would mess up your alignment
        -Josh R

Comment

up down movement CAN be ball joint, but in our case, it's more likely a loose top hat or bad strut tube. if you want to check for ball joint play for our cars (we'll use the RF wheel as example) take your right hand to the 4:30 position and the left to the 10:30 position (with the car in the air) and use your right hand to shake the wheel (left hand is for support). the optional way to do it if you can get the car high enough is to grab (with both hands) at the 4:30 position and shake. you're using the tierod end as a pivot point. a second pair of eyes can sometimes be needed.

lastly a third option: big pair of channel lock pliers..... squeeze the balljoint with it installed in the knuckle (this can be done on the ground or in the air though results will vary in severity depending on method). if there's play, it will collapse into the joint.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It could also be a wheel bearing. Look underneath while someone else shakes the wheel. You'll see what's moving.

Comment

Haha, just cause I can, ill throw in another option...steering rack bushings!

Peaspire jerked hard left often, especially when shifting gears. I thought it was a tie rod end...turned out to be the rack.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

As said above...see what is moving!!

Comment

Check the brakes. Sometimes the pads stick on the pin because the pin gets dirty and rusty. Try cleaning the pin with a small strip of sandpaper or some steel wool and give it some oil. Don't need to remove the pads or pins to do this.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok, I'll jack her up and check things out for movement. Thanks.

Comment

if it's a constant pull to the left, could just be an alignment issue. If you take it in for an alignment those guys should let you know if you've got a bad ball joint or anything, they really like collecting that easy money..they can't do a good alignment with a bad ball joint.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Is it pulling when you brake? I had that problem and it turned out to be a plugged rubber hose that runs to the caliper, had to replace it. Did both, actually.
                        Last edited by denguy; 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Ok, I finally jacked up the car and this is what I found. The drivers side wheel does move back and forth a little when held at the 3 and 9 position but it feel more like a hydraulic movement, if that makes sense? The passenger side wheel moves back and forth at the same position as the other but this one when moved feels more like a loose lug nut but there isn't a loose lug nut. Hope this helps in your good folks evaluation of what I have going on. Thanks, Jim

Comment

Is there any play in your steering wheel? Does it feel loose and easy to turn? Grab ahold of the inner tie rod and try to lift them up and down by the steering rack boots on both sides. If you get up and down play its probably worn out rack bushings. Those shouldn't be able to move up/down/in/out at all without turning the wheels.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Its kind of hard to see what jiggles when you are the jiggler.

Comment

Working...
                              X