Rack bellows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack bellows....

Will the bellows listed for power steering work on manual racks? If not, are there any manual rack bellows anywhere?

Economy
    RAYBESTOS Part # 4301081B Service Grade
    Power Steering

$9.02
    Standard Replacement
    ACDELCO Part # 45A7081 {#88910880}
    BOOT KIT,S/GR -; w/P/S

$13.02
    RAYBESTOS Part # 4301081
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

I used 1996 Honda Civic steering rack boots on mine and they fit like a charm on both ends with no major issues. The steel cable ties that came with them were quite a useful addition as well.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Dust boot E8BZ-3332-A is out of stock at Rear Counter.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Got my manual rack bellows at Rock Auto.com
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
          I used 1996 Honda Civic steering rack boots on mine and they fit like a charm on both ends with no major issues. The steel cable ties that came with them were quite a useful addition as well.
          Any chance you can give us a part number?

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            When? They aren't listed............
            Buck.
            -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              I did too. Just last fall. I may have looked under Kia though. I'll see if I still have the old boxes or paperwork laying around.

Note: I got some off eBay a couple years back, but they were JUNK. The rubber got hard and fell apart after only a year. Stick with name brand ones like Raybestos.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

SSSSSSSSooooooooooooooo..... I take it power steering bellows won't work?
                Buck.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. It's a different part number....my guess is the diameter on the rack is bigger with PS.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Somewhat tempted to try it at only $10 a set. Maybe I can figure out some way to fill the gap even if it is wrong
                    Last edited by 200KGPGTP; 04-23-2013, 01:31 AM.
                    Buck.

Comment

I used Rock Auto poweron my manual steering. No problems at all. Measure / mark / count turns before you crack the first nut.

RAYBESTOS 4301081B Rack and Pinion Bellow $ 9.03
                      '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                      '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                      '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

I was able to leave the backup nut on the threaded rod in place and just remove the tie rod end. It was a major PITA, but I was able to pry the small end of the bellows over the nut using small screwdrivers. That way the tie rod end goes back to the same position and maintains alignment fairly close.
                        Brian

Comment

I cant remember details (three or four years ago) for my steering bellows, think they were something that looked durable and might fit off ebay. The really cheap cheap universal ones dont hold up.

Anymore I would try the universal polyurethane shock bellows sold different places, they last forever. Polyurethane stuff is great.

I ended up using an old Volvo two piece driveshaft on my Ranger since original was out of balance and Ranger driveshafts werent highest quality. Same ujoints and lucked into finding Volvo driveshaft in length I needed. Had to renew parts of it. Could get new carrier bearing and the rubber support, but it needed a bellows/boot to protect the sliding joint between the two parts and original replacements not to be found. Used about half of a polyurethane shock absorber bellows. Works great. I use the el cheapo narrow air craft hose clamps made in china. I wouldnt trust them on actual hose under pressure, but they are great for CV boots and steering bellows and driveshaft bellows, etc. since you dont need them to clamp down as tight as you need for pressurized hose. You can link more than one end to end if you need bigger diameter than is available. No idea about people that make rubber boots and think a plastic cable tie is enough, guess they figure to save few pennies in production. Believe me plastic cable ties arent enough, you need metal clamp, especially when ends of bellows/boot dont fit exactly. And the narrow cheapo air craft clamps lot easier to use than those silly metal band clamps on CV joints that need special tool. Plenty low enough clearance to work fine on CV joints.

Comment

Working...
                          X