Transmission issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission issue?

I bought my festiva a while ago, after owning it for a day the clutch went out, dropped 500 dollars into a clutch replacement. Only for the transmission to start grinding. Was hoping to drop some Lucas transmission repair into it so i can drive it for a while till i can afford a new 600 dollar tranny, but i cant find anywhere if its a sealed system or not.

500 for a clutch? 600 for a tranny? Where are you buying your parts? Korea?

An Exedy clutch on ebay is like $110 and I bought a 5 speed and several other items from a guy that had some parts cars for $80 bucks.

Source some cheap parts on here next time. What's wrong with the tranny? Mine lost 4th awhile back...then 5th went..then 3rd and I finally had to get it replaced.
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

that grinding could be the clutch bearing. they replaced the clutch but not the bearing.
      ;
      www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
      rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
      '92 Festiva L M/T
      '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Yes it is sealed......but dayam those prices are outrageous!! You need to find a new shop.

Comment

You remove the speedometer cable/gear from the top of the trans. You'll see markings as it is your dipstick as well.
          93 Ford Festiva L 5 speed: In process of fixing PO's negligence

Comment

yeah, i know the prices are crazy, i just dont have the space or the tools to replace everything myself, everywhere here in indiana charges over 40 dollars for labor. the clutch bearings were replaced, i actually thought it was a throw out bearing till i drove it with the grinding sound, and the grinding comes and goes, makes me think its a syncro. Ill still need a new transmission regardless, the only one i can find was on Ebay, but im still dirt poor i only make min wage (7.25) and get 20 hours a week.

Comment

Well let us know where you live and let's try to track down a tranny locally for you.
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts
              Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Columbia City, Indiana. 46725.

today the car stopped grinding in 5th gear and started grinding in 4th.
                a syncro maybe?

Comment

Could find another car for less...
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

But... its a festiva. and i love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoaitsricky View Post
                      But... its a festiva. and i love it.
                      I think what he meant was find another Festiva.
                      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Juncture update:
                        follow my line of whipsure: In March I whipped the poop in violent manner to Oklahoma. I search C/L and found a 5 speed tranmission.
                        I am now putting it in a 89 with a four speed to be replaced. Neanderpaul told me howl to do this or otherwise I would would be underwhiping on this car.
                        (I am also rebuilding the engine of this carberated car) Neanderpaul has postulated that that 89 was one of the least desirable Festiva's. When he told me that
                        I went out side and snuffled and moaned for a week. I however have improvised and am performing an engine rebuild and a transmission violent juncture uprising.

You can purchase a clutch and kit with throw out bearing and steel surrounding transmission whipsure for apx $99.00 at Pep boys.
                        If you install the kit properly by a powerhouse mechanic it should function as good as smacking a hot womans bum with a ping pong paddle. It should purr nicely
                        and shift smoothly because this is what she wanted the whole time.
                        The wisdom of this juncture may not fully correct the problem but it will help some one get ball over the goal line.

Juncture over

buck zeplen

Comment

^ say what?

Comment

Update:

Its for sure a syncro. i think somehow it got messed up when the mechanic i had changed my clutch out, it grinds/ rattles randomly.
                            not knowing this i went inside and was defeated, i told my father about the issue and he took it for a ride

hold on; a little back story for you guys who are willing to read.

My father has owned a plethora of high performance street machines in his life, a really nice chevy c10 shortbed on a blazer chassis was one, that thing was a monster.
                            I live near a road known as "13 curves" its the road with hairpins and tight corners where one can only dream of going over 60.
                            The suspension in my festiva (known as knuks to my family, its white with a black stripe and its a reverse skunk, hence the name) is shot and it is REALLY boaty feeling.
                            My father is also a disabled airforce veteran who had spinal fusion on his lower lumbar a few years ago.

Anyways; My father decided to drive down this road in an attempt to "Reset" the syncro. Not only did he drive like a total maniac, shifting from 1-5 and 5-1 on turns, he was going 50-70 on some of the less sharp corners, I was dying and my butthole was going through pre rectal prolapse.

Turns out- the grinding stopped, and that was 2 days ago, im driving the car now, and i just hope i can get to and from work for a few weeks before the syncro decides to go out.

Any help finding a cheap tranny would be very much appreciated. (:
                            -Ricky

Comment

Ive been turning wrenches for 30 years, and I can't say I've ever heard of "resetting" a synchro. Some one here will have a tranny for you at a reasonable price.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X