Bleed brake master cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleed brake master cylinder?

Wondering if I have to bleed the brake master cylinder. I disconnected the master cylinder from the combination valve and removed the master cylinder from the engine compartment when replacing all the brake lines to the wheels. I didn't disconnect the lines between the master cylinder and the combination valve but took the master cylinder and lines out as a unit. I've installed the new lines and reinstalled the master cylinder. The brake fluid reservoir on the master cylinder is empty. It got pumped out when the brake line broke.

There was nothing in the Haynes Festiva manual about bleeding the master cylinder when replacing brake line, but I borrowed the Haynes Automotive Brake Manual from the public library to look at before putting everything back together and it mentions bleeding the master cylinder. I'm at the library where I've looked in a couple of Haynes manuals for GM cars and it does say in the section on overhauling the master cylinder that it has to be bleed when reinstalled.

Is there some way I can tell if mine needs to be bled?
    Will the air be expelled when I gravity bleed the entire system or does the master cylinder need to be done separately?

Thanks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

just bleed the system as you would normally do

i see no problem in that, unless you want to bleed the master separately?

it is just like replacing the brake hoses or a caliper

Comment

Sounds like you will be ok just bleeding the brakes. But if you have any problems with soft pedal I would start there

Comment

Working...
      X