Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brakes

93 gl automatic

does the rear brakes have a regular lock nut to take off the drum are one of those that you have to stake? i will go shopping for parts on the way home from work so do not have time to see either way.

brakes

You remove the wheel, Remove the grease seal, There is a cotter pin on the retaining washer that needs to come off next (the retaining washer has teeth in is, you will see when you get in there). Then there is a regular nut that you undo after you take out the retaining washer. The whole drum should slide off then.

Comment

thanks for the reply at least i do not have to buy one of those stake nuts

Comment

While you are in there you might as well check you bearings. I had a bad one that I did not know about caught it just in time.

Comment

Re: brakes

Originally posted by canlboater
          You remove the wheel, Remove the grease seal, There is a cotter pin on the retaining washer that needs to come off next (the retaining washer has teeth in is, you will see when you get in there). Then there is a regular nut that you undo after you take out the retaining washer. The whole drum should slide off then.

Well, yours is different than every Festiva I've ever worked on. I just happened to replace my rear brakes and wheel bearings last week. Once you take off the wheel and grease cap, there is a staked nut that holds the drum/bearing assembly in place. Remove the stake nut, and the drum slides off. I've never seen a cotter key on the rear. Also, the passenger side rear nut is reversed thread.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I've seen both. I think on one of mine they had cotter pins and one had the nuts staked on. But I could be thinking of the aspire stuff which may be different.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Re: brakes

Originally posted by gdawgs
              Originally posted by canlboater

Well, yours is different than every Festiva I've ever worked on. I just happened to replace my rear brakes and wheel bearings last week. Once you take off the wheel and grease cap, there is a staked nut that holds the drum/bearing assembly in place. Remove the stake nut, and the drum slides off. I've never seen a cotter key on the rear. Also, the passenger side rear nut is reversed thread.

Went out and checked, yep just like I said on a 93L

Comment

the Aspire swap has the nut and cotter pin assembly

the Festiva has the stake nuts

Comment

Stake nut to cotter pin transition

'88's and at least some '89's have stake nuts. By '92 they'd thankfully gone to cotter pins. Where exactly the transition took place, I don't know.

Comment

I have two 1993 Ls, one has pins, the other has steak nuts. Some spindles have a hole for the pin, and others don't :?:
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva
                      I have two 1993 Ls, one has pins, the other has steak nuts. Some spindles have a hole for the pin, and others don't :?:
                      Don't question the car gods...they make there decisions using logic that is beyond human comprehension. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                      X