Need some help kind of quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help kind of quick

I'm finally getting the water pump and crap done on my 88 LX. I have a good friend that owns a shop that will be doing the work for me. I just don't have time or tools to do everything. He told me he would just rather pull the whole motor and tranny out and seal up everything and make sure everything is good. Sounds like a plan to me. He asked me about the clutch. I told him the car has 198,000 miles on it and still has the original one in it, ha. So while it's all out, why not replace the clutch right? Now I've seen some on ebay for like $37. Are these worth a crap or should I go a different route? I did some searching on here, but I kept finding stuff for BPT cars etc. Plus, anything else you can think of to do while it's out, let me know! Thanks!

Buy a good clutch, like an Exedy or Sachs. Crappy parts give crappy results.

Also, absolutely make sure the rear main seal is replaced when he has the tranny off. That is a good plan of his, to pull the whole thing and do it all now. I assume he is doing the timing belt as well? Make sure it is a quality one too, not typical cheap mechanic-grade.
    Last edited by TominMO; 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks! Yea, I have a good new timing belt and tensioner

Comment

Might as well do the flywheel while you are in there.

Comment

^^^ You can buy the best clutch and get junk results if you forget the flywheel!

Good call. Check that coolant pipe for rust. Tstat will be easy.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Should I be able to just get the flywheel turned/resurfaced or will I need a new one?

Comment

Just get the flywheel machined. Unless you have some reason to believe there is a serious problem with it, which from what you posted it doesn't sound like it.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Get the whole water pump kit.
                ;
                www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                '92 Festiva L M/T
                '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Do the cam and crank seals also!!!