Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO SMOKE,NO KNOCK B3 with serious blow by :(

COMPRESSION RINGS,VALVE SEATS or BOTH?
    Hey guys we did a Spire engine into a Festy @ 10k ago and like a light switch it starting using oil. The motor was completey sealed up b4 installing including new head gasket. Pulled out #1 plug and the ceramic around the electrode was almost all gone.Plug #2 was better but really ugly.3 & 4 looked similar to #2. Compression is @ 75-90 on all cyl. Pulled the intake ube @ VAF and nasty nasty dirty blow by oil came pouring out.
    Doesnt smoke at the tail pipe at all,no knock in the engine but the pvc is buzzing like a hornet.

ps the motor was acurately timed after install.We always run @ 12 deg tdc instead of 10. But I cant tell you the history on the engine other than the fact that it ran extremly well after the swap.And was averaging 45mpg. Thanks for the input,I'll be pulling the head Monday.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

You could try this, no guarantees but it might be worth the trouble. Pull the valve cover and clean up the baffle under the PCV and the PCV vent. Replace the pcv and the hose, clean out the nipple going into the intake. Plugged or carboned pcv can fuel dilute the oil and cause loss of compression. Next take out the plugs and soak the combustion chambers with a product called sea-foam. I will try to post a picture on the above left for you..lol

Assemble and run it with another dose in the engine oil for a day or so, then change the oil. Do not thin the oil too much when running it.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Sounds like the compression rings are gone, but the oil control rings are still good. The wasted plugs are probably a result of the oil being ingested via the air intake and causing detonation. This is almost exactly what happened to my B3. One day it ran like a top, but a couple hundred miles later it was a big steam engine. Never did smoke out the exhaust, but the blow-by would blow your hat off your head.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Same thing happened to my B3. One day I'm getting on the highway, shift to 4th and lose what felt like half the power. It had burnt plugs and oil in the intake too. Never did blow smoke, but I took the oil cap off the valve cover and the air blowing out told me all I needed to know.

That's why it has a B8 in it now.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Hey thanks guys thats what I suspecting to hear.Its wierd how quickly it happened,but thats how life gets ya sometimes. So I'm not going to even pull the head. I'll just yank the whole motor and replace or rebuild. We tried the motor clean made by Gumout and no dice same symptoms.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Could be a broken ring or piston that finally let go. Either way, you know with low compression numbers across the board that the ring seal is weak. If you squirt oil in the plug holes and re-test the compression do the numbers go up?
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
            X