Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long did it take you to........

Change the head in your Festiva?

I figure this could be a thread for people to ask these types of questions!
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

bout an hour...

mind you that we're talking about a head gasket change, not a full blown rebuild.
    Last edited by FestYboy; 05-12-2013, 01:02 PM.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

4 hours, dragging butt. running car, to running car again
      89 lx (project bp)

88 b6t w/g25

Comment

That's faster than what I expected.
        Fast....Women are fast
        Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

I'm just doing head gasket. Any pointers or special tricks?
          Fast....Women are fast
          Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

3hrs 22min i timed myself a few months ago, running to running just a head gasket though and I ate a pizza

clean, clean, clean mating surfaces
            Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
            Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
            Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
            WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
              I'm just doing head gasket. Any pointers or special tricks?
              leave the intake and exhaust manifolds on the head, it's heavier, but less to take apart and there's more to hold onto when moving it about. leave the dizzy on. drain the coolent BEFORE you do anything. have Copper Spray handy. have a way to pull the oil/coolent out of the head bolt holes. do an oil change BEFORE you start the car again.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

My advice would be to not worry about how long it takes you. If you haven't done it before, then the most important thing is to do a thorough job and not have to do it again. Spend the time to get the head and block surfaces clean. Check the head for warp and/or have it resurfaced. It would also be a good time to install a new water pump and timing belt. If you're experienced at this stuff and have all the proper tools, etc., then you could easily do it in a day. However, if it takes several days or even a week, don't worry about it.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^he's under a time constraint....

Comment

You can pull it with the manifolds still on but you'll need to pull the intake to get the valve cover off. It's a good time to make sure the coolant passages are clear to help out the idle control valve on warm up. There is also a support from the intake to the bottom of the block that's easy to miss. Check head with a straight edge and feeler gauge or you'll be doing this again if it's warped. You can check the block too but it's usually it's the head when it's been overheated.

Comment

If you rotate the engine it is possible to get the valve cover out without pulling the intake on an EFI. Do it by hand.
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

40 minutes to change the mechanical fuel pump that was leaking. I had never done that before and discovered a couple vacuum lines disconnected and one that was plugged for some reason.. car runs waaaaayyy better. Im looking to eventually pull off the head while replacing as many gaskkets as possible.. hoping this thread will up my confidence.
                        Last edited by darkfact; 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM.
                        1989 Festiva L Carby

Comment

Originally posted by tac View Post
                          You can pull it with the manifolds still on but you'll need to pull the intake to get the valve cover off. It's a good time to make sure the coolant passages are clear to help out the idle control valve on warm up. There is also a support from the intake to the bottom of the block that's easy to miss. Check head with a straight edge and feeler gauge or you'll be doing this again if it's warped. You can check the block too but it's usually it's the head when it's been overheated.
                          just need to rotate the throttle body out of the way (if cranking the engine by hand doesn't work, and i dont recomend that anyway because you want the engine at TDC when you tear the head off)

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                            If you rotate the engine it is possible to get the valve cover out without pulling the intake on an EFI. Do it by hand.
                            True dat.

For those with Aspire engines, the throttle body is designed a little differently, and the valve cover comes off easier. Haven't needed to rotate the engine to get the intake valves out of the way.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              ^he's under a time constraint....
                              You mean not everyone can take 2 years to rebuild an engine like me??? LOL
                              My nickname at work used to be "Powerglide", because I have 2 speeds....SLOW and STOP. But, I AM meticulous.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X