Automatic transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmission question

Just rebuilt my B3 and removed the transmission from flex plate. Question is it normal for the shaft that goes into the torque converter being the front little shaft able to retract and extend?. When pulling out the transmission from flex plate and torque converter, the rod got hung up and extended maybe a good 7inches. Just wondering if I damaged it or something when tearing out the auto trans.

That shaft drives straight from the engine to the pump inside the transmission. I think it's just splined at both ends, should be fine to reinstall it.

If it's not driving the pump, you'll get no pressure in the trans - won't shift into any gear.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Cool good to know that it is normal and I didn't destroy anything.

Comment

It will not hurt anything and there are no seals but it is the part that engages the driven part of the converter, and connects to the gear set. The pump is driven from the lugs by the bearing surface that sides into the pump bushing. The reason for this is this part of the converter never quits spinning as long as the engine runs. You have to have transmission pressure to move clutches and engage gears. High stall torque converters have more clearance between the fins attached to the converter shell and the fins on the stator that drives that little shaft. Tighter clearances between these fins make a "RV" torque converter because there is less slippage. This better suits an engine designed for torque. High stall better suits engines designed for more horsepower, and helps extract horsepower from engines that do not have enough. Going back together you will feel the bearing surface enter the pump bushing. Next you will feel the splines on this shaft enter the stator, may require a wiggle or two and last you may have to spin the converter a little to feel the pump drive engage, and it is very important that you feel this last one. When you stab the tranny there will be room to turn the converter to line up the bolt holes then pull the converter to the flex plate. If the converter is rubbing on the flex plate you might want to pull the trans and restab the converter. Put a seal in while you are there! Blow out the cooler as muck collects in there and keeps heated tranny oil from cooling off in the coolant in the radiator. After the oil is out use air and something like brake clean to blast the cleaner through. Catch it in a rag each time until the cleaner comes out clean and the flow through is unobstructed. Use all safety precautions as high pressure air guns and dirt with powerful solvents can give you a bad day!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

@ movin. Question did I need to pull that shaft out when installing the torque convertor? When I installed the TC all I did was align and spun it till it seated as far at it possibly it could go. I'm just hoping it went all the way in. How would I know if it's all the way in? Is there a way to check? I tried practicing it multiple times wiggling and spinning it till it seated all the way through. It's spins nicely around the shaft with no wobble. But I'm still not 100% certain. All I can say is the torque convertor and flex plate was pressed on each other when the two parts joined up. It wasn't smash on but tight enough where it's wasn't crushed.

Comment

That shaft is a no difference kind of thing but if you forget and leave it out all you have is a really big skateboard!

Once you have heard and felt these converters hitting home a few times you will know when they are in. If you can spin the converter behind the flexplate before you put the bolts in you should be good. If they rub hard it might be worth a second look cause the pump not being engaged will get you no where as well. You are probably fine, but if not the worse that will happen is a little extra r and r experience!

Comment

Once it's in will it be able to still easily slide out or will it be locked in?

Comment

It'll be sammiched in there.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Like a dog in a bun!

Comment

Working...
                  X