Roll down windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll down windows

Would there be any reason why my windows get harder to roll down when it gets colder? I've noticed that during the day when it is warm my windows are very easy to roll down but when it is cooler and especially when it is cold, they are virtually impossible to roll down straight and they bind up.
    88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
    92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
    91 - Shell with title
    92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Mine too!
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Parts that hold the window to the track get worn and start to bind, cold seems to affect them more.

There are threads about this in the forums. Some people have used vegetable oil and various other stuff to make them roll better.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Vegetable oil does work well... as does silicone spray. I've had a lot of luck with the latter. Check your factory service manual for details on its construction and the best places to spray. Keep in mind that if you're using a product with a strong scent, that it is likely to impact your interior's smell as well. I learned this the hard way haha.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Mazola time.

Comment

Canola. Before petroleum canola (rape seed) was used a lot becuse it sticks to metal even when wet (think steam engines). Vegetable oils break down faster than mineral oils so they aren't used any more. That and all the additives they put in commercial oils for durability and performance. Or you can wax the tracks. Wax lasts longer than oil because it doesn't dry out as fast. Same with grease. Or you can rub with a bar of soap which used to be animal fat but now petroleum based I suspect. No doubt you'll have something from the above list sitting around the house or apartment.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X