I NEED ALOT OF HELP HERE PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED ALOT OF HELP HERE PLEASE

I have a 91 festiva with a 5 speed about 100k new timing belt, water pump, axles, tuneup, tires ,and brakes, and clutch. the car was driving great for about 4 months after i put the motor back in after installing a new clucth. all of a sudden the next morning i leave to go to work and it takes a while to start then finally it starts running rough but starts let her warm up go to leave for work and it will not go past 10 mph get around the block come back home open the hood and the manifold and down pipe are bright red that was about 2 months ago. it will start but when you rev it it dies then if you just let it idle it dies after ten mins and usally wont start up for 30 mins. i brought it to a shop the other day because i couldnt figure it out. they checked fuel pressure, timing, and i checked compresion in each cylinder one at a time and every thing worked out fine..WE CANT FIGURE IT OUT is there anybody out there that might be able to help me

lol

check if exhaust is plugged...like catalyst...unplug it and test drive your car, i see it even in new car :shock:

Comment

im sorry i forgot to write that. i did do that already i thought it was clogged when the manifold was bright red and it still does it.

Comment

obstruction ?

if you remove down pipe from manifold and your trouble is always here, try to swap 4 injectors ...

Comment

i cut the cat off so the down pipe is still there its just no cat or exhuast system. its manifold down pipe and flex pipe and i can see far up the flex pipe and down pipe and theres nothing there, i was thinking injectors but how would they make it run like that? it idles ok then i stomp the gas and it dies?

Comment

what about ignition like coil or module? you think that would have any thing to do with it?

Comment

did you check fuel pressure both running and engine off? often a bad pump / clogged filter will show good pressure engine off, but low with engine running. However, with the exhaust glowing red, it sounds more like an ignition problem. The manifold is getting hot because the fuel is burning in it instead of the cylinder. Can be caused by weak spark, spark scatter in cap, etc. Can also be caused by leaking fuel injectors, letting too much fuel into the cylinder.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

i dont know if he checked the fuel pressure while its running and while its off, i thought about leaky injectors but how would i check them i didnt think about bad cap or wires or even a coil till before..

Comment

i think he did check the fuel pressure running because he drove the car around the block and told me it still will not go past 10 mph, but the tune up is like 4 months old new cap, rotor, wires. it suck because the parts are not cheap for this thing and i dont want to just start throwing parts at it..thanks again

Comment

What part of Jersey you in? I work in Mt Laurel.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

i live at the jersey shore, monmouth county

Comment

hmmm. just a LITTLE out of my way....
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

what about the VAF? Mine did the same thing. It would idle ok, but when ya put any gas to it, it would die. I replaced the VAF and it worked great again.. maybe the wire pulled loose a little?

Comment

what is the vaf? are you meaning the mass air flow meter?

Comment

Just a guess but I think you exhaust valve(s) are open during the ignition in your cylinder. Be it cam, timing belt, or distributor problems. If your exhaust isn't plugged, the only way I can see your exhaust getting cherry red is direct contact with the combustion in you cylinder. Id start with checking you timing. Being that it happened in a instant, I would guess your timing belt failed somehow. Poss that your distributor, bolts came loose and it rotated. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X