Periodic High Idle and Electrical Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Periodic High Idle and Electrical Shutdown

This is what happen: Sometimes when I start my 1991 Festiva GL the engine will rev high, headlights won't turn on, the wipers won't work, the blinkers won't work. If I turn the car off and restart, everything goes right back to normal - engine falls back to normal idle and all electrical function returns. What is happening here? Thanks.

Could it be a relay issue?

Comment

I'm thinking may be a ground issue. Start by checking the grounds on the motor, and chassis. Theres a couple on the motor, one I remember on the right fender at the strut tower. I'd start with those. In my wiring diagrams, I don't see anyone item other than a ground that could be causing all those issues. I could be wrong, maybe someone else has had a similar issue and will join in.
      Last edited by Team Lightning; 05-16-2013, 12:58 AM.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I agree with Jerry. Check for any significant resistance on your ground wires and ensure they're making solid clean contact.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Guess I'm the lone ranger..clean the contacts in your ignition switch. If you need info there is a thread on this with pics I need to reshoot.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

It could just be a worn ignition switch. While the motor is running and you don't have those other functions you mentioned, try turning the key just a little bit more (not enough to engage the starter) and see if you then get those functions back.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you suspect the ignition switch I'd spray some WD-40 or contact cleaner into the key hole before getting into taking things apart. I've dont this a couple of time when my lights and wipers wouldn't come on consistently. Works for me for 3-4 years between sprayings. Good luck.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! After work I'll try them out. WmWatt: What a cool trick! Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                  If you suspect the ignition switch I'd spray some WD-40 or contact cleaner into the key hole before getting into taking things apart. I've dont this a couple of time when my lights and wipers wouldn't come on consistently. Works for me for 3-4 years between sprayings. Good luck.
                  I love cheap and easy fixes! This'll go on my maintenance list for sure.
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Yes, Mazda likes to run everything to ground so that they can get away with one less terminal in every relay. They have ingeniously thought of interconnecting the ground wires in a spiders web for purposes of redundancy, just in case there is any corrosion at one of the open barrel ring terminals. I doesn't hurt, every quarter century, to unscrew and clean every single ground that you can see with a Dremel mini wire brush. That will be a summer project for every single one of us.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X