No announcement yet.

charged my A/C wrong, how can i fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charged my A/C wrong, how can i fix it?

OK was in a hurry and didn't read the can, charged my a/c holding the can upside down. there is good pressure on the low side but no cold air. i fifgure i put in liquid not gas.

if thats correct how can i empty the system? if not would like to know the best way to proceed.

car is a 1993 gl fetiva

The best and legal way is to use a vaccum pump ,evacuate the system ,pump it down = negative vac. then recharge it ,that gets all the contaminated junk out and the air ,so all you have is freon in there.
    Some people just release the stuff in the atmosphere,don't get caught doing that = $25,000 fine I believe, for knowingly releasing it and not recovering it into a closed system . Thats what eats up the ozone .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

you have nothing to worry about
      unless your compressor locked up when you were adding freon

they tell you to not invert the can because the compressor cannot compress a liquid charge and will seize up in a heartbeat.

are you sure the freon charge was low in the first place?
      it is possible to over charge a system and it will not blow cold air.

and here is the biggest question of all:
      do you have a gauge set hooked up so you can read what the high side pressures are at????????????????????????????????

it is really hard to diagnose a/c problems without knowing what are the high sides pressures.

Comment

a/c

I have a guage for the low side which reads about 40 psi. when i started the low pressure side had now pressure, and it came up to 40 psi with out putting in very much. the xompressor is turning and just a slight amount of cold air is felt.

will try and check high side pressure, should be what?, about 800 psi?

Comment

high side pressure should be in the 300-350 range and NO HIGHER, damage to the system will result. have you checked that the filter in the high side liquid line is clean? or that the restrictor (can't think of the proper name for it at the moment) isn't blocked? this can cause a lack of cold air as well.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy
            high side pressure should be in the 300-350 range and NO HIGHER, damage to the system will result. have you checked that the filter in the high side liquid line is clean? or that the restrictor (can't think of the proper name for it at the moment) isn't blocked? this can cause a lack of cold air as well.
            You need a manifold set ... there is a good chance that your pressures are very high due to non-compressible gas (air) in the system along with the freon ... you haven't said what refrigerant you used but based on what I've read you're definitely not a air pro ,, I am guessing you put R134a into your festy and that the "guage" you're using came with the can(s) ... I don't have an AC festy to look at but I can tell you the results you are seeing are TYPICAL if you just charge up with r134a and don't flush the system to remove the R12 oil ,, and you don't replace the orifice tube ,, you should also change the accumulator/drier because some of the r12 driers don't have a dessicant that is r134a compatiable ...

To do this right you will need at least a vacuum pump a manifold set and a can tap ,, total cost $80-200 ,, if you charges up with r134a your oil is now gummed up and worthless and your compressor will fail soon ,, I'd take it to a pro and let him flush , leak check and refill with R12..

Comment

Originally posted by gomer
              You need a manifold set ... there is a good chance that your pressures are very high due to non-compressible gas (air) in the system along with the freon ... you haven't said what refrigerant you used but based on what I've read you're definitely not a air pro ,, I am guessing you put R134a into your festy and that the "guage" you're using came with the can(s) ... I don't have an AC festy to look at but I can tell you the results you are seeing are TYPICAL if you just charge up with r134a and don't flush the system to remove the R12 oil ,, and you don't replace the orifice tube ,, you should also change the accumulator/drier because some of the r12 driers don't have a desiccant that is r134a compatible ...

To do this right you will need at least a vacuum pump a manifold set and a can tap ,, total cost $80-200 ,, if you charges up with r134a your oil is now gummed up and worthless and your compressor will fail soon ,, I'd take it to a pro and let him flush , leak check and refill with R12..
              umm what's that have to do with having the correct high side pressure? the gage that's reading the 40psi is on the low side after the evaporator, so he's good there (I'd like to see it form 50-75 myself ...) he just needs the high side gauge. but you're right about having to evac the system and flush the oil before putting in the 134 and PAG (assuming that he went that route)

BTW in case you were wondering, i am 609 certified and can work on any automotive HVAC system
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X