Clicking Noise..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking Noise..?

Hey guys , what would be making a clicking noise when i am making left or right turns while driving ..? axle? tire rods? What signs should i look for if they are bad..?

Thanks
    Last edited by Dom; 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM.

CV shafts (axle). Continuously variable joints click when they go bad. Worst case, they pop and you're stuck.

You'll be looking for a torn boot on the inboard side of the wheel. It must have spit all it's grease out
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

More likely than not, it's your axles - the CV joints specifically.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
        CV shafts (axle). Continuously variable joints
        CV = Constant Velocity

If you have a manual tranny, try taking the turn out of gear, neutral, and see if it makes the same noise.
        Nothing, however, takes the place of getting under the car and looking to see what's going on.
        I suspect everyone is correct in that either the boots have failed and emptied themselves of grease or the CV's have just wore out.

Just a suggestion, you might want to put your cars details in your signature.
        That way everyone know if you have an ATX or manual, carbie or EFI.
        It's helps people provide you relevant info.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

It is a 89' auto festy . Are they difficult to replace ?
          Last edited by Dom; 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
            It is a 89' auto festy . Are they difficult to replace ?
            I don't really think so, no. I'm having mine done by a friend right now as we speak, but only because we're doing other work with the transmission mounts and transmission. If you have the confidence, tools, and mechanical prowess, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
              I don't really think so, no. I'm having mine done by a friend right now as we speak, but only because we're doing other work with the transmission mounts and transmission. If you have the confidence, tools, and mechanical prowess, go for it.
              have no choice gonna order the parts today and give it a go how much did they cost you to purchase?

Comment

have no choice gonna order the parts today and give it a go how much did they cost you to purchase?
                Got mine from Rock Auto. Shipping was $30 I believe to my American mailbox in WA.

1990 FORD FESTIVA 1.3L L4
                EMPI 802410 (80-2410) CV Half Shaft Assembly $ 57.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 57.79
                EMPI 802411 (80-2411) CV Half Shaft Assembly $ 57.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 57.79

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  CV = Constant Velocity
                  Ohp, thanks.
                  -Zack
                  Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

These photos might help http://www.photobucket.com/Festiva-axle
                    Last edited by WmWatt; 05-19-2013, 05:30 PM.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Dom, you'll want a breaker bar, 29 and 30mm sockets (just in case the new axle nuts aren't the stock 29mm size), a long prybar, and a big hammer.

remove center caps (if you have them)
                      with the car in gear and the e-brake on, take your breaker bar and appropriate socket and loosen/remove the axle nuts
                      loosen the wheel lug bolts (both sides) at least a 1/2 turn
                      jack the front end up so that BOTH wheels are off the ground
                      remove the wheels
                      remove the LCA ball joint clamp bolt
                      with your prybar (and maybe the help of the hammer) push the LCA down and out of the knuckle
                      now you can swing the knuckle away and tap out the outer end of the CV axle from the knuckle (it takes a little twisting to get the right angle to slide it out)
                      take the prybar and place the tip between the axle tri-pot housing and the trans case
                      pop the axle out of the trans (i like smacking the prybar with the hammer to get things to pop loose, hit the shaft of the prybar in the opposite direction you want the axle to go)
                      carefuly remove the axle from the trans and then chuck it across the yard
                      insert the new axle and tap the wheel end with the hammer untill it seats compleatly
                      installation is now opposite of removal.
                      continue to other side.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        Dom, you'll want a breaker bar, 29 and 30mm sockets (just in case the new axle nuts aren't the stock 29mm size), a long prybar, and a big hammer.

with the car in gear and the e-brake on, take your breaker bar and appropriate socket and loosen/remove the axle nuts
                        remove the wheels
                        with your prybar (and maybe the help of the hammer) push the LCA down and out of the knuckle
                        now you can swing the knuckle away and tap out the outer end of the CV axle from the knuckle (it takes a little twisting to get the right angle to slide it out)
                        take the prybar and place the tip between the axle tri-pot housing and the trans case
                        pop the axle out of the trans (i like smacking the prybar with the hammer to get things to pop loose, hit the shaft of the prybar in the opposite direction you want the axle to go)
                        insert the new axle and tap the wheel end with the hammer untill it seats compleatly
                        continue to other side.
                        thanks for the info gonna give it a go when the parts come in

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post

remove the wheels
                          continue to other side.
                          Usually drain the tranny first,but since you have a ATX you might not want to pull your pan. If you do you should have a filter and gasket handy. I also like to wedge a chisel on the opposite side of the tripot when using the prybar. And on the drivers side I found its easy to put the chisel at the bottom and use the pry bar from the top through the engine compartment (the cross member is in the way). Last two pass axles I did this way took less than 2 min to come flying out. ps I use a 4 ft bar
                          Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-19-2013, 07:58 PM.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

So being that I have a automatic do I have to drain the tranny fluid didn't get what you meant?

Comment

So being that I have a automatic do I have to drain the tranny fluid didn't get what you meant?
                              As soon as you pull an axle you are draining ATF whether you like it or not
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X