Brake line leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake line leaks

Road tested the new brake lines yesterday. Soft with fading at first but improved as I tightened up connectors and eliminated leaks. Braking good now but still two slow leaks remaining. Some questions...

1. Any tricks to stopping leaks at connectors? I have two that will not tighten any more but still have drops of fluid on them. Level of fluid in reservoir doesn't seem to change.

2. What do people use to plug brake line to avoid losing fluid when disconnecting brake line to, say, reflare to stop leaks. My golf tees are too big.

3. What is the best way to go about finding replacement bleeder screws? At two parts stores I tired they got out boxes and tried to compare visually. I bought one but it leaks. The threads may all be metric but the business ends come in a variety of shapes, none matching the ones that came with the car. Another parts store, a national chain. looked under "caliper parts" on the NAPA website without success.

PS I did not know the connectors had to be so tight. As soon as the new lines started to fill with fluid I was scrambling about on the floor of the garage under the car tightening connections like mad trying to stop all the leaks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

New crush washers should stop any leaks you're getting on the banjo bolts.

Be sure you're using a flarenut wrench on flare nuts, a normal wrench will tighten the nut unevenly and make it go oval shaped so it leaks.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
    X