Front Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel Bearings

How would you check your front wheel bearings to see if they were OK and installed correctly?

i just grab mine @ the top of the tire & pull in & out to see if there is any play. im sure there are better ways to check them but this is the only way i know how
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

i use the above method to verify clamping load and then a stethescope to listen to the bearing as it turns
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You can use a screwdriver like a stethoscope. Pretty neat.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Drive without using the brakes and feel the hub to see if it's hot. If you use the brakes that heats up the hubs too so don't.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Drive and listen for rumble. Elevate and punch the tire, it should go thud, not rattle.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks............everything in the front end feels tight but I am still getting an increasing shake over 50mph.

Comment

Probably tires, I have an incessant shake in ALL my cars over65/70 and everything has been replaced, ball joints, inner rod ends, racks, front and rear swaybar bushings, struts, knuckles, literally EVERY front end component. I did have one set of tires balanced but I'm thinking it was a botched job, they only charged me like $8 to balance them and the mechanic tried to lift my car from the side(where it dents/bends the rockers) until I yelled at him to lift from the crossmember, luckily I got there in time I had went to get a pop from the machine.

I also threw one of the weights off doing 35 thru town 3 or 4 days later. I heard a ting and the vibrations got worse above 70, but it usually stops around 75/80
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

One nice thing about graduating from 12 inch 'trailer tires' to quality 13 or 14s is highway travel becomes so much more smooth.

Comment

It's on all my cars, 12's, 13's, and 14's...but I haven't bought a new tire or had all four balanced in many many years. I only had two balanced that one time last year.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Try rotating the tires to see if there is any change in performance. I've swapped my front tires left-to-right a couple of times and had noises dissappear. Maybe it helps them wear more evenly?
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Spin to check for a bent wheel. Have the tire balance guys use the fine setting. The tire weight hammer tool has a lead clipper built in to support this function.It will balance to 1/10 ounce on this setting.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                        X