Cracked tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked tranny

I haven't been on here in a long time. A week or so ago I noticed my driver's side CV joint boot was bad. So today I was going to replace the axle. Got everything torn apart and I could not get that freakin' thing out of the tranny. I have removed many of these axles over the years. Often times they are a pain in the rear, but I have always gotten them out before. Well after about two hours of prying, I just cracked the transmission housing. And I still don't have the axle out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what I'm going to do with this thing now. If I had a cliff nearby, I might just push it off at this point.

I think I'm just going to put it back together as is. Seal up the crack with some JB weld and drive it till she dies. Which might not be that long. If anyone is looking for a cheap parts car, I may have one for you. My 20 years of driving Festivas may be ending soon.
    Last edited by gdawgs; 05-25-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs View Post
      I think I'm just going to put it back together as is. Seal up the crack with some JB weld and drive it till she dies. Which might not be that long. If anyone is looking for a cheap parts car, I may have one for you. My 20 years of driving Festivas may be ending soon.
      Yeah that's definitely the band-aid solution. I know they make special types of JB Weld for automotive uses, but I'm not sure which one would be best in your circumstances.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Pop the rubber boot off the big part , clean some grease out so you can see ,and remove the wire clip pull the complete joint out and take the new axle apart the same way and install ! Fix the trans with JB weld and done !
        New build on the way .

Comment

I have Daughter & Son In Law in River Falls,pm me if you are serious about selling it thanks.
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-25-2013, 03:52 PM.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Will do nitrofarm. I have the JB weld setting up right now. Hopefully it won't leak. I at least want it get it drivable so when I do sell it, someone can come and drive it away.

Comment

Will do nitrofarm. I have the JB weld setting up right now. Hopefully it won't leak. I at least want it get it drivable so when I do sell it, someone can come and drive it away.
              Cool Beanz !
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I hate having to repeat this. But, just gently tapping around the bell with a small hammer while applying light pressure with a screwdriver would have popped the transaxle out like butter. Brute force just damages the circlip.

Comment

Working...
                X