Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runs fine, change fuel filter, now won't run...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs fine, change fuel filter, now won't run...

My car is a 88 Carby, 5 speed with 160K on it. I drove it home and it ran like a champ as always. I changed the rear shocks and the fuel filter and now it won't run. It started right up, but died halfway around the block when the bowl went empty. It will run if I dump gas in the carb, but not off the pump. I thought it was having a hard time priming with the pump higher than the filter. So I took the fuel line off at the carb and poured fuel through it into the pump, then I took the line off at the pump and filled the fuel filter and that line up with fuel as well. It started right up and and ran great, but died at the exact same place half way around the block.

Is it just amazing coincidence that the fuel pump decided to go bad right as I change the filter?????????
    Last edited by torquejunkie; 06-04-2013, 01:08 AM.

dont take this the wrong way but did you put your filter on backwards?
    Rod

"Confidence is the most important thing you can teach someone... if you can teach them confidence, you don't have to teach them anything else."

1992 truckiva
    1989 festiva lx (mine again)
    1980 triumph tr7 convertible (project)
    1976 tr7 hardtop (parts car)
    1989 dodge caravan turbo
    1975 amc gremlin 4x4 (play toy)

Comment

then instead of pumping the pedal, turn the key to 'acc' and let it fill the bowl itself.
      Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
      Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
      Highway - 7.32L/100km
      City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
        then instead of pumping the pedal, turn the key to 'acc' and let it fill the bowl itself.
        It's a carby with a mechanical pump.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Just for its and grins, take a look at one particular fuel line.....
          ...down at the bottom of the firewall, drivers side,there is a metal fuel line that runs under the car, from the tank to the front of the car, at the firewall.
          Here it connects to a SHORT piece of rubber fuel line, to the filter you mention. This fuel line has to make a 90* bend to reach the filter.
          With age this line gets soft, and since the carby pump "pulls" instead pushing like an EFI, it can create enough of a vacuum to twist and collapse the short, bent (old) rubber fuel line, going to the filter, and shutting off the fuel supply, It dosent happen often, but it does happen. I know, it happened to me. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what it was, until I had someone rev the engine slightly, and I was under the hood just looking at stuff, to see if I could see anything.
          Lo, and behold, I watched as that short fuel line started twisting slightly, and collapsed on itself. Then the car died just as it collapsed.

Its an easy check, and maybe save you some bad words for another time.

I replaced the short line that was 4-5 inches long with a new line about a foot long. Hasnt done it since. I know of at least one other member that it happened to, also.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

other option: check your tank pickup tube for debris.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks guys! Yep I checked the filter for proper direction and it is a mech pump. I will check the other things.

Comment

Well I went out to go to work and it started right up. Get situated and get ready to back out and it dies... Pop the hood and check that little short fuel line from the metal tubing to the "in" sided of the filter and sure enough it was twisted and collapsed. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Great post drdan!
                  These "from personal experience" kind of posts are the golden nuggets that need a permanent thread of their own.

Comment

may have too much suction there, Arty said the tank should be checked and plus 2

Awesome call Dan!!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

+1 for drddan

nice call
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

+1 for drdan, good call
                        Rod

"Confidence is the most important thing you can teach someone... if you can teach them confidence, you don't have to teach them anything else."

1992 truckiva
                        1989 festiva lx (mine again)
                        1980 triumph tr7 convertible (project)
                        1976 tr7 hardtop (parts car)
                        1989 dodge caravan turbo
                        1975 amc gremlin 4x4 (play toy)

Comment

Good call indeed, THANKS! I changed that line and I am back in business! Cleaning the tank is on my list of stuff to take care of as well.

Comment

Originally posted by torquejunkie View Post
                            Good call indeed, THANKS! I changed that line and I am back in business! Cleaning the tank is on my list of stuff to take care of as well.

Oh man! Glad I could help!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a noob, I asked all kinds of Q's and did a lot of searching.

Now I find myself coming on here to see if anyone has issues and ANSWER Q's!

How the hades did that happen?! LOL
                            Last edited by drddan; 06-06-2013, 04:29 AM.
                            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                            X