No announcement yet.

trans axle problem - can u help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick note- The trans shop rigged a bearing puller up to two slide hammers and still could not get the axle out. I think whoever put the axle in did not use a regular circlip but I wont know until we find a solution.
    The OTC tool is next and after that a sawsall on the shaft and then split the case. I will improvise, adapt and overcome until I win this war.

Comment

Well, here is the latest. I got the OTC tool and now have it stuck in the opposite side. I think it got jammed in the spider gears. I'm so close to driving the axle out. One more try.

Comment

Update - I got the OTC tool and did a dumb thing. I put it in the passenger side and took a hand sledge and wacked the snot out of it. I have a condition called COPD. So my sessions swinging the sledge are limited to about a max of 10 smacks per session. I couldn't see any movement. but I noticed that the axle would move slightly back and forth. Seems the tool is now stuck in the spider gears. I should have pounded a little and then checked by removing the tool. I would probably seen the marks from the gears and maybe been able to grind a little off to avoid the bind. Lesson learned. I may have to take shadetree's advise but I want to change the seal cause you just know their going to leak. I have the tool that fits behind the cup on the axle and have been using a slide hammer to try to get it out. I'll keep trying but does anyone know if I cut the axle behind the cup with a saws all can I then unbolt the trans and split the case to get to the clip. One more thing for Jason, that pry bar you made what kind of end did it have on it where you fit it between the cup and the case? I'm stuck for a few days until the latest 90 degree heat wave with high humidity passes. Seems ozone is hard on Emphysema. Pant pant.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Geezer View Post
          Update - I got the OTC tool and did a dumb thing. I put it in the passenger side and took a hand sledge and wacked the snot out of it. I have a condition called COPD. So my sessions swinging the sledge are limited to about a max of 10 smacks per session. I couldn't see any movement. but I noticed that the axle would move slightly back and forth. Seems the tool is now stuck in the spider gears. I should have pounded a little and then checked by removing the tool. I would probably seen the marks from the gears and maybe been able to grind a little off to avoid the bind. Lesson learned. I may have to take shadetree's advise but I want to change the seal cause you just know their going to leak. I have the tool that fits behind the cup on the axle and have been using a slide hammer to try to get it out. I'll keep trying but does anyone know if I cut the axle behind the cup with a saws all can I then unbolt the trans and split the case to get to the clip. One more thing for Jason, that pry bar you made what kind of end did it have on it where you fit it between the cup and the case? I'm stuck for a few days until the latest 90 degree heat wave with high humidity passes. Seems ozone is hard on Emphysema. Pant pant.
          Apologize for delay, I'll snap a picture tomorrow

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

One is blurry,

Mostly near perfect. Just needed a fuzz of flatness to not slide away.

She stood zero chance. I was worried of the case ending up as a failing fulcrum. Broached grooves through the ring effortlessly too.

All about 5ft long.

Last edited by jason_; 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
              One is blurry,

Mostly near perfect. Just needed a fuzz of flatness to not slide away.

She stood zero chance. I was worried of the case ending up as a failing fulcrum. Broached grooves through the ring effortlessly too.

All about 5ft long.

[ATTACH]13197[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13199[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13198[/ATTACH]

All you need is a chisel and a hammer. You use the X member on the drivers side as the fulctrum.And on the Passenger side, there is a flat spot on the case made for it. 10 seconds per side and I'm done,both axles are out.I never have to sweat axles-:thumbs_up:
              Last edited by nitrofarm; 07-12-2013, 07:03 AM.
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Passenger was the angry side. I should of taken pics of the snap ring.

The final drive splines made slices nearly 1/2 through it. It wasn't anywhere near center. And yeah I reused it. Didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                  Passenger was the angry side. I should of taken pics of the snap ring.

The final drive splines made slices nearly 1/2 through it. It wasn't anywhere near center. And yeah I reused it. Didn't care.

I've found some snap rings are .006" thicker than others,so its entirely possible you had a thicker style.
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                  X