No announcement yet.

1989 Festiva L with Fuel Injection -- Squeal from New Timing Belt & Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Festiva L with Fuel Injection -- Squeal from New Timing Belt & Tensioner

I just bought an '89 Festiva (automatic tranny) and the PO changed the timing belt and tensioner (both were brand new) shortly before selling and I'm getting a squealing noise that is fairly constant from there as soon as the car starts up. Is that something that will go away as the belt/tensioner stretch and settle or do I need to go in there and loosen something?

Thanks,

Pete
    Last edited by Towser42; 06-05-2013, 12:52 PM. Reason: Title of post was lame

Had a similar problem some time ago. Go here to see how I fixed it on my car. Hope that helps you out, there's a lot of ideas in the thread as to the cause of the problem.
    Last edited by fastivaca; 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Prob the alt belt. 3 things to check: to loose, to tight, bad altogether. If the belt is not sticking up above the snout a good bit it could be bad. This happened to me. Proper tension is when you can still push the belt down about 1/2 to 1/4 inch but still have tension. Worse case scerino the bearings on the alt could be bad and the alt needs to be replaced. This is a good place to start before you start messing with the timing belt.
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

The alternator belt is new as well, and it looks fine. The PO says the problem only started right after changing the timing belt and tensioner; he thinks it will go away if I wait, but I'm not so sure.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
        X