Oil pan gasket replacement time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan gasket replacement time.

Do you yhink this might be the source of my oil leak?

uploadfromtaptalk1370560179822.jpg

That was a rhetorical question

Replacement goes on later tonight and then we're off to Portland Oregon on a little road trip.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Details on how to do the replacement! I've purchased mine and will be doing it soon! I had just asked some questions on Facebook too. Getting lots of help!
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Just be careful not to over-tighten. I destroyed one that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
        Details on how to do the replacement! I've purchased mine and will be doing it soon! I had just asked some questions on Facebook too. Getting lots of help!
        Would you like for me to post up the oil pan gasket replacement section from the Mitchell service manual?

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
        Just be careful not to over-tighten. I destroyed one that way.
        +1 on this. This is where a torque wrench is your friend (8-9 ft/lb but I usually go an even 10) :thumbs_up:
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

I have a Ford Service manual. I guess I could use it. I just like hearing war stories on here so I know what to be on the look out for!
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Really the worst part is the oil dripping off the internals while you're trying to clean everything. It can get annoying. Usually if I'm not pushed for time I'll drain the oil the night before so everything has a chance to drain/drip off the crank and rods before pulling the pan. Not necessary but a little cleaner and less annoying while you're laying under the car getting dripped on.

PS. I found a better pic of where to apply sealant if you want or need it.

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
              Really the worst part is the oil dripping off the internals while you're trying to clean everything. It can get annoying. Usually if I'm not pushed for time I'll drain the oil the night before so everything has a chance to drain/drip off the crank and rods before pulling the pan. Not necessary but a little cleaner and less annoying while you're laying under the car getting dripped on.

PS. I found a better pic of where to apply sealant if you want or need it.
              I planned on leaving the drain plug off overnight when I do it and then I have a large oil drain container that will hopefully cover the whole pan. The other picture might help if you don't mind!
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Good plan. After pulling the pan you can blot off the internals with a clean shop towel to get some of the remaining drips. It helps but it's still gonna drip some here and there....you'll swear it's making oil

Here's the pic from the manual. I'll post it on the FB page as well for anyone who may need it.

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Thanks for all the help. This might end up being a couple day thing. I just bought some paint for the pan! so I'll want to clean it real good before applying!
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X