LCA problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCA problems

So im changing thr LCA and I can't get the bolt out of the frame. The head isnt stripped, but the bolt just spins, and gets tight like its grabbing thread, but I think the threads arr junk on it. Anybody had this problem before? Please help! !

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Has the nut broken loose from the frame?
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

To answer the question, yes, lots of people have had that problem. Try jamming something into the hole to keep the nut from turning. Treat the nut and bolt to some penetrating oil. If all else fails cut the head off the bolt. People have used a reciprocating saw to cut off the head.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        To answer the question, yes, lots of people have had that problem. Try jamming something into the hole to keep the nut from turning. Treat the nut and bolt to some penetrating oil. If all else fails cut the head off the bolt. People have used a reciprocating saw to cut off the head.
        The nut is still welded on the inside of the frame. The bolt itself turns, but I think the thread on either the nut, or the bolt are stripped. A couple turns and it acts like it's grabbing thread, the next turn its back to just spinning. Bolt is intact. Head is intact, and unrounded. And my last resort was to cut the bolt.

Could you suggest a way to get the welded nut out of the frame? If I do that, I can replace it with a nut and some blue loctite and a new bolt, after cutting the existing bolt out. If that nut can't be removed, i cant get another nut inside there (at the angle its at) to grab the new bolt.

New bolts are grade 8 3/8-13 × 3" with the appropriately threaded nut. I also have a tap set to re thread the welded nut to that thread pitch if need be

Sent from Galaxy S4 TAPATALK2
        Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

it's a caged nut. if you get a punch or drift, you can knock the cage loose and work it out of the frame. once that's done, you can then install a more standard nut (preferably with a knerled sholder to act like a lock washer) by using a finger or a swival socket to hold it in place.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            it's a caged nut. if you get a punch or drift, you can knock the cage loose and work it out of the frame. once that's done, you can then install a more standard nut (preferably with a knerled sholder to act like a lock washer) by using a finger or a swival socket to hold it in place.
            So the caged nut... if I break the cage, the nut should be accessible?

Comment

One of my cars has a broke loose LCA to body nut. Previous owner had drilled a hole in the car box frame so as to be able to get a wrench in there to hold the nut. Been like that for at least 7 years now. Put grease on that nut and the bolt when you go to reassemble so as to make it easier the next time.

By the way how many PEI Festys are there in your neck of the woods? And where do you get parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                One of my cars has a broke loose LCA to body nut. Previous owner had drilled a hole in the car box frame so as to be able to get a wrench in there to hold the nut. Been like that for at least 7 years now. Put grease on that nut and the bolt when you go to reassemble so as to make it easier the next time.

By the way how many PEI Festys are there in your neck of the woods? And where do you get parts?
                I juat moved there (and am bwck in the US till august) but as far as I saw, I was the only one. Parts I get from rockauto.com

Comment

So I got the pax bolt out
                  Everything is back in.

Ended up drillingba hole so I could put another nut on and see what was going on inside.

Raybestos professional grade lca's

Mevotech Supreme X FACTOR (from what I can tell a poly based bushing) bushings

And finished the day with a cold one and a juicy weiner covered in coleslaw with home made fries

Now all I gotta do is tackle the rounded head of the driver side LCA and im golden.

Comment

Working...
                  X