So my hood flew up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my hood flew up...

And I need assistance. The windscreen wiper grill is bent to pieces and I think (since my hood is no longer flush on the headlights and grille) that the brackets holding the arms for the hood have moved towards the rear of the car.

Anyone know how to get this plate off?

Because I also need to tighten up my wiper arms on the inside (the driver wiper flies off the windscreen when the vehicle gets over 50 in the rain and causes both arms to stop in the upright position)

Help is appreciated. The only way that comes to mind is grinding it loose but after that, reinstalling would required rewelding?

Sent from Galaxy S4 TAPATALK2
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

You can remove the wiper arms without removing the panel. The black panel under the hood where the wiper motor mounts is removeable. It's above the master cylinder.
    You can access the wiper arm system through that hole. I believe that you would have to grind the welds off then reweld the grill panel to remove then reinstall it.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
      You can remove the wiper arms without removing the panel. The black panel under the hood where the wiper motor mounts is removeable. It's above the master cylinder.
      You can access the wiper arm system through that hole. I believe that you would have to grind the welds off then reweld the grill panel to remove then reinstall it.
      Iv tried tightening the arms that way before, and its the rivet in the arm that rotates to the driver arm that's loose. Its difficult to reach without taking that grille off

Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

I took a flip through the Ford factory service manual and Haynes manual and neither one seemed to have provisions to remove the cowl.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Take the nuts off that are under the wiper arms then push them into the area under the grill. Then remove the wiper motor plate and motor. The arms (both sides) will come out through the plate/motor hole. I've pulled several units out through that hole.
          Last edited by Team Lightning; 06-09-2013, 06:07 AM.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
            Take the nuts off that are under the wiper arms then push them into the area under the grill. Then remove the wiper motor plate and motor. The arms (both sides) will come out through the plate/motor hole. I've pulled several units out through that hole.
            Thanks!!! I wasn't aware I coukd do that. Any ideas on stiffening up that loosey goosey arm inside?

Comment

I was accelerating down a ramp onto the highway once when my hood blew open on an old Chevy Nova. I had to loosen all the bolts to realign the hood so that it would close again. I just begged a nut from 1990new because I stripped the other one while removing my old wiper arms. There was nothing wrong with them until I stripped the thread. Now they are scrap metal. I was replacing them with the new wiper assembly I bought on eBay. I will pick up the nut and install it on Wednesday. Thank-you 1990. There is still a new one left in Siler City, NC for $150. I put anti-seize compund on the threads so this never happens again. No more loosey goosey.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 06-09-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Sounds to me like you need a new wiper assembly. Mine was doing that same thing and it was because there was a rubber bushing that was completely missing. I grabbed a used assembly from another Festy and that fixed me up real nice!
                -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                Random Festiva Parts
                Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                  Sounds to me like you need a new wiper assembly. Mine was doing that same thing and it was because there was a rubber bushing that was completely missing. I grabbed a used assembly from another Festy and that fixed me up real nice!
                  Know where I can get one cheap or free? There arent any festys around me in j/y or any that I know of

Sent from James' Galaxy S4 TAPATALK2

Comment

I got mine dirt cheap off the same car I took a transmission from. They guy just had a couple sitting in his back yard. Your best best is a JY or someone you know that may have a parts car...people on ebay seem to think they are worth like 50-100 bucks for used ones! You'll want to check the bushing before buying to make sure it's still good. I can show you which one corroded on mine tomorrow.
                    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                    Random Festiva Parts

Comment

I got mine dirt cheap off the same car I took a transmission from. They guy just had a couple sitting in his back yard. Your best best is a JY or someone you know that may have a parts car...people on ebay seem to think they are worth like 50-100 bucks for used ones! You'll want to check the bushing before buying to make sure it's still good. I can show you which one corroded on mine tomorrow.
                      Sounds good man. If you'll post up a pic so I can see what bushing you mean, I can try and track an assy down.

Comment

It's hard to take a picture of the bushing that was gone on my old wiper transmission. But I did my best to point it out in this photo.

-Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                        Random Festiva Parts

Comment

It's hard to take a picture of the bushing that was gone on my old wiper transmission. But I did my best to point it out in this photo.

Thats exactly whats bad on mine. Would a tight tight o-ring do the trick?

Comment

Possibly! Anything would work as long as it tightens up the slop that happens when there is no longer a bushing there. Can the transmission arms be taken apart to allow an O-ring to be installed there?

Let us know what you find out.
                            Last edited by Prafeston; 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM.
                            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                            Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Working...
                            X