Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with an Oldsmobile!! sorry not festy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with an Oldsmobile!! sorry not festy!

Hi everybody, I know it's not a Festy question but, i need your help! I'm running out of ideas. I have a 1988 2.5L /151cui, Vin:R Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.
    I have been restoring it since last year and a couple of months ago, my father took the alternator to be rebuild. After a couple of weeks, it died and the batery died. So i went and bought a new one and a new battery.
    Now this is where the fun begings: now it has a intermitent failure, the injector stops receiving signal(ground) from the ECM, and I have no clue what to look for.
    All the sensors are new, terminals new, grounds checked and cleaned battery new, injector new, ignition module new, spark plugs new, all new filters and oils.
    coils new, i mean EVERY FREAKING THING is new!!! oh forgot!, new pistons, new timming gears, bearings, seals motor mounts. TBI and head rebuilted!

And today i put a new fuel pump just in case.
    so basically the car is new. All parts are AC Delco!!
    My only guess here is the ECM, since the voltaje regulator was giving voltaje spikes, now i'm putting my focus on that.
    Any coments or sugestions are appreaciated!!

thks
    Last edited by Fordverde; 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM.

CSP Sensor or like you said ECM.......
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

CSP is new god!!! $100 more!!

Comment

If you do figure it out let me know what you find. I've gone through pretty much the same stuff as you trying to track down an identical problem on an '87 Ciera with the 2.5L. Haven't rebuilt the motor, but all the electrical stuff you mentioned I have replaced and/or tested also. Same thing, intermittent loss of grounding signal to the injector. Its making me want to find an old S10 and yank the carb from that lol. I've stoppd messing with it for now, too many other projects to finish up, but if I get back to it and figure it out I'll post back with the results.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

After reading this forum I'm lead to believe it may be your computer.

Comment

2.8L is a whole different animal from ours... 6 injectors vs. 1, the ignition and fuel systems are completely different between the the two.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

those ECMs don't take hits well and are known issues. remember you're dealing with a 25 year old GM POS.... (i have a Fiero, i know..) pull the ECM harness from the ECM and check your injector harness stem to stern with wiggle test, then condemn the ECM.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Back then we had to wiggle test the ecm too! If a cheap DVOM is handy you can pin test the power and grounds at the ECM connector. This would be during the first five seconds after you turn the key on for each test.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thks everybody, I have checked the wiring and its ok. Already have the new( reman!) ECM on the way. I have the factory workshop for the olds and I have done all the trouble shootings with no luck, the funny thing is, if you remove the ECM fuse for 4 min and place it back the car runs like new!! switch it off and try to start again it sometimes starts and others don't, do the fuse thing once more and starts right up! Temps sensors are new as well.
                  If with the new ECM it doesn't cures itself then I'll take it to an exorcist!!!

Comment

^ LOL Visions of Linda Blair & Split Peas soup come to my mind.

Comment

Yet our Festys Japanese ECUs keep on ticking.

Don't think I have heard of one fail unless the car had some major electrical issues.
                      Last edited by TorqueEffect; 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM.
                      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                        Yet our Festys Japanese ECUs keep on ticking.

Don't think I have heard of one fail unless the car had some major electrical issues.
                        Not when they get voltage spikes

Comment

mmm now that I think of it, I have never service my festy's alternator.... interesting!! is it Japanese or Korean?? mmmm.... I'll check that during the weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Fordverde View Post
                            mmm now that I think of it, I have never service my festy's alternator.... interesting!! is it Japanese or Korean?? mmmm.... I'll check that during the weekend!
                            Your Ford Festiva alternator is Mitsubishi (Japan). The Koreans were working from Japanese blue prints so they just bought the parts. The Olds alternator, I don't know it may be made in China by now.
                            Last edited by XFSE71; 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM.
                            '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                            '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                            '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Hi all. finally the ECM arrived, change it and problema solved! Got it at $99.95 on ebay although it came without the chip so i needed to reuse the old chip.
                              Now that i saw that the chip can be changed, I'm wondering if there is a chip that can improve the performance alittle bid!

Comment

Working...
                              X