Resonance Chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonance Chamber

I am trying to learn all I can about my 91 Festiva. Located off to the side of the Air Duct System between the air cleaner and throttle body, is something referred to as the Resonance Chamber. Would someone please tell me what the purpose of this plastic box is? Thanks.

Silences intake noise.
    93 Ford Festiva L 5 speed: In process of fixing PO's negligence

Comment

Yea stops that beasty sucking sound

Comment

Some folks have taken them off and reported no apparent side-effects. There is a engineering answer to your question somewhere in this archived forum because I've seen it.

Comment

Helmholtz resonator

Comment

Originally posted by standard235 View Post
            Helmholtz resonator
            There it is, but without the explanation.

Comment

If you give a maam a fish, he'll .... Ahh Hell with it.

It has already been said Bert. I was merely giving hon the term so he could research if he enjoyed. All that thing does is cancel out intake harmonics

Last edited by standard235; 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by standard235 View Post
                If you give a maam a fish, he'll .... Ahh Hell with it.

It has already been said Bert. I was merely giving hon the term so he could research if he enjoyed. All that thing does is cancel out intake harmonics

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance
                You're a good man Charlie Brown. I've never had the heart to disconnect mine (they do take up space and get in the way), figuring that Kia/Ford/Mazda didn't make and install them merely for decoration. But truth be known if harmonics is so important howcum the Aspire B3s didn't have them.

Comment

I tried to post yesterday but my laptop battery ran out at mid-post, LOL. Helmholtz chambers can be used not only for sound cancellation, but they also use them to eliminated certain frequencies of air flow pulse waves in the intake system. Depending on design, some systems can develop an air flow wave that will actually stagnate air flow. So, those resonators can actually be used to help performance. On our Festivas, however, they don't seem to do much of anything.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    You're a good man Charlie Brown. I've never had the heart to disconnect mine (they do take up space and get in the way), figuring that Kia/Ford/Mazda didn't make and install them merely for decoration. But truth be known if harmonics is so important howcum the Aspire B3s didn't have them.
                    Maybe it has something to do with the round intake tract vs the Festiva one that looks like it got smashed under the hood and the heat warped it to the shape it is Haha.. I don't know.

I want to know where to find some nice pipe stock that is the same size as our throttle bodys so I can fab up a decent looking intake...prefferably one that has a metal bends.. All autozone and advance carry is the stupid Honda 3" junk.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                    X