Front brake caliper ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake caliper ...

My right front brake caliper is locking up (will not release all the way). I have the stock ones for the festiva. I pounded and lubed the caliper the best I could and got it loose. I worked it back and forth for a while till I was satisfied with the release of the rotor.

Will I need to replace the caliper(s)?? and if so are they easy to find the stock ones?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Did you clean the pin the pads slide on? A strip of emery cloth pulled back a forth will do it without removing anything. Then lube. Helps.
    I bought calipers and rotors here in Canada no problem and that means you can get them a lot easier in the USA, and cheaper too..
    Last edited by WmWatt; 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If it's the piston itself that freezes or sticks then you are going to have to bite the bullet and get a new/rebuilt one. RockAuto? Lube and grease everything when you put it back to together. Up here oftentimes it is the two sliding pins (enclosed by rubber boots) that seize and those can be freed up with emory cloth/wire wheel and some brake lube. I regularly (40 years ago) used to rebuild brake parts on British cars but I've never tangled with rebuild kits (or know if they even exist) for our stuff.

Comment

Bert, you must have a special place in your heart for Lucas electrical

I 2nd the use of brake lube where it belongs and the extra special care taken to assure that it does not go where it doesn't belong!
        Last edited by Movin; 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
          Bert, you must have a special place in your heart for Lucas electrical
          "Prince of Darkness" is how one of my esteemed colleagues described Lucas Electrics. I always figured the Cold War would have ended much sooner if we'd freely shared that technology with the Soviets.
          And then speaking of 'assure that it does not go where it doesn't belong' you must be talking about the aftermath of a prisoner dropping his bar of soap in the shower.

Comment

I just purchased a pair of rebuilt calipers ("unloaded") from Napa, along with new pads and spring kits. Before the core charge, I think it was about $50 per wheel. Napa no longer sells "loaded" caliper assemblies.

I also bought new rear pistons, rear spring kits, and shoes.

Everything except drums (which I've bought recently for about $20 each new) was under $300 including core charges.
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Make sure you have good fluid flow through the rubber lines that run to the caliper. They can get plugged up.

Comment

here in rustburgh it seems that the slide pins seize up even though they are enclosed within rubber boots. sometimes the rubber gets a hole in it that allows the elements to enter but that's not always the cause. you might have to press out the seized pins mechanically. clean them up or get new ones. get new boots, install them in the caliper and really pack the brake grease into the accordian folds, insert the pins and burp the boots like a tupperware lid. repeat every year.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                  here in rustburgh it seems that the slide pins seize up even though they are enclosed within rubber boots. sometimes the rubber gets a hole in it that allows the elements to enter but that's not always the cause. you might have to press out the seized pins mechanically. clean them up or get new ones. get new boots, install them in the caliper and really pack the brake grease into the accordian folds, insert the pins and burp the boots like a tupperware lid. repeat every year.
                  You and I both learned the hard way. Second Festy I got initially required 2 men and a boy to stand on the brake pedal in order to halt the car. Upon caliper disassembly the boot-enclosed pins were so badly seized and corroded that they couldn't be saved. It was pretty exciting to have real brakes immediately after, and nearly have my head go through the front glass.

Comment

Hey, thanks everyone!
                    For what I did, it is working for now, but it looks like a little project for me in the next few weeks to take them apart and clean the pins!
                    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                      Hey, thanks everyone!
                      For what I did, it is working for now, but it looks like a little project for me in the next few weeks to take them apart and clean the pins!
                      And what pray tell was that? The pin-held pads can always use some attention but by the time you decide to toy with new calipers (and rotor and pads I presume) the rest of that stuff is self-evident. Feels good to be self-sufficient and free of $125/hr advice/service doesn't it? Hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        And what pray tell was that? The pin-held pads can always use some attention but by the time you decide to toy with new calipers (and rotor and pads I presume) the rest of that stuff is self-evident. Feels good to be self-sufficient and free of $125/hr advice/service doesn't it? Hooray!
                        Yes it does!! Whoo Hoo!!

Mike

Comment

Well, I got myself a left & right front calipers yesturday. I had to drive 70 miles afterwards and the old caliper was locking up too much, so I pulled off in a driveway where nobody was living and changed out the right caliper. I had no brake fluid to do the bleeding and had to ask someone next door if they had any and luckly they did. I changed it out and bled the brakes (with the help of my g/f Geraldine) and was on my way .... free rolling again!

Turns out one of the pins was bent a little, probably keeping the pads fron retracting. The damaged was done on the caliper though, from too much heat. I may have to get new pads too, but for now I will use the ones that got a little over heated.

Should I return the other new caliper (left side) or put the other new one on the otherside????

I'm the type of person that "if it's not broken don't fix it" type! So I'm sort of back and forth on this.

Thanks,
                          Mike

Mike

Comment

Napa's caliper "spring kit" includes nice shiny new pins. Might be an inexpensive alternative to cleaning your corroded pins.
                            Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg
                            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                            X