Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible scraping sound when clutch is released.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible scraping sound when clutch is released.

So, I was driving on the highway today, and I thought I heard a fiant wining sound. I turned my music down, and couldnt pick it up to clearly.

When I got to my exit, I stopped. At the stop, my car would make an awful grinding sound (kind of like plastic scraping along pavement) whenever I let out the clutch, whether in neutral, or any gear. The sound was only occasional (every few seconds), so I limped it the 1/2 mile home.

It doesnt make a significant amount of sound when the clutch is depressed, but if I let it out it is horrible.

Also, when I put it in gear, it starts struggling as if Ive let out the clutch some when I havent.

The first thing I would think to point fingers at is the throwout bearing, or clutch. However, Im not very experienced at fixing manual (or any for that matter) transmissions.

Also, the PO said the clutch was recently changed. I know its quite possibly BS, but I figured it worth mentioning.

Any ideas?
    '97 Aspire

Oh, and it popped out of gear a couple times...
    '97 Aspire

Comment

I'd start with the release bearing, that's usually the first candidate for this type of noise. Although I wouldn't rule out that the PO could have botched the clutch job in some way (if he in fact did install a new one). Input shaft bearings can also make a terrible noise under load but that's a little more difficult to fix and most people remedy that problem by swapping in another transmission.

Oh, and one more thing....have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? That's usually a good place to start with a new car in order to verify all the fluids are at the proper levels and in good condition.
      Last edited by Zanzer; 06-14-2013, 08:51 PM.
      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

I have not checked the trans fluid.

I guess Ill do that before pulling the transmission. Though, I wouldnt think adding the fluid back, if it is in fact low, would cure this sound.
        '97 Aspire

Comment

Before pulling the clutch test that tranny out just in case. If you find out where the clutch came from perhaps the original purchaser would take his receipt and the faulty parts back and get them replaced for free under warranty? Just be sure to clean and lube the proper places.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Do you mean try checking/adding fluid?

Also, Im pretty sure talking to the PO is a no go. He was a backyard car salesman, and had only had the car for a few weeks. I guess it was the PPO that supposedly replaced the clutch.
            '97 Aspire

Comment

So, I looked up how to check the fluid... Is it really supposed to be to the top of the transmission? I know for a fact that my fluid was not that high. I could actually touch the speedo drive gear without having my finger submerged.

So, it looks like I might need a new trans?
              Last edited by Americanclassicg; 06-14-2013, 09:57 PM.
              '97 Aspire

Comment

pull the speedo cable off and the stick thingy should be there to pull and see if there is fluid.

on a side note mine did this and it was the spider gear and the trans needed replaced but go through the process these guys are saying first
                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Ya, I was saying check the fluid just to verify and not make a bad problem worse. Plus it's never good to assume that a car you just bought was properly maintained just because the PO said it was. But if it's an internal problem that's just more of a band aid at this point. Proper fluid level never hurts but if it's an internal problem it probably isn't going to fix it at this point either.

You have to pull the speedometer gear assembly on the back of the transmission to check the fluid. There may be a write up on here on the site somewhere.

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Fill the oil to the mark on the speedo gear holder then see if the trans jumps out of gear.
                    Also listen for odd noises inside the trans while driving and stopped with the clutch in both positions. You may have clutch TO noises only
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I presumes the speedo gear itself is supposed to be submerged. I know that mine was not.
                      '97 Aspire

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Post #13

And as Movin said, after the trans is full monitor the operation. We're just giving you options as to what the problem could be since we are not there to help troubleshoot in person. This could all be simply due to a bad throwout/release bearing, on the bad side...it could be internal bearings. We're just giving you ideas to help sort it out.
                        Last edited by Zanzer; 06-14-2013, 10:22 PM.

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Alright, I just checked the level. Well, I tried. There is no fluid visible through that hole. I also couldn't reach any with my finger. I will try to get a ride to the auto parts store to get some fluid tomorrow, and see if that improves it. I dont like unknowns. Haha.

'97 Aspire

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                            pull the speedo cable off and the stick thingy should be there to pull and see if there is fluid.
                            Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                            You have to pull the speedometer gear assembly on the back of the transmission to check the fluid. There may be a write up on here on the site somewhere.

why would you need a write up when i used all those technical words and detailed discription lol
                            -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                            -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Americanclassicg View Post
                              Alright, I just checked the level. Well, I tried. There is no fluid visible through that hole. I also couldn't reach any with my finger. I will try to get a ride to the auto parts store to get some fluid tomorrow, and see if that improves it. I dont like unknowns. Haha.
                              Yeah, that is not good. The proper level is when it is practically overflowing, or just near the top. Looks like you have been running extremely low, or dry. Damage may already be done, but drain and refill the transmission with Mercon ATX fluid, if that doesn't make the noise go away, you may need to look into finding another transmission because the damage may already have been done.

Also after you fill it, look for leaks, the axle seals after 20 years might have gone bad, and that might be why you have no fluid.
                              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 06-14-2013, 11:39 PM.
                              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                              X