straight pipe vs. muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight pipe vs. muffler

i was just wondering if there is any reason not too or drawbacks if i was to just get rid of the muffler and run an exhaust pipe straight out the back or temporarily not have any pipe from where the muffler first connects. here's a pic that explains the reason why i need to do something.

thanks for any help or ideas. i don't have much knowledge of how the exhaust affects the engine.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Just go to the parts store and get 5 muffler repair kits and fix it

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Wow, that is one torn up muffler.

I think a straight pipe would be a little too loud for street use. For the track it would be fine though.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

sorry, i've never used a muffler repair kit. what exactly is it? would it be worth taking a muffler off a parts car instead?

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

I had the strait on my one festiva 1.3 it wasn't loud at all due to the little engine. I have a strait pipe on a 1.8 now, alittle louder :-)

Depends what the cops in your area are like.

Logan

Comment

muffler

super turbo generic muffler around 30 $ canadian... check at canadian tire

this is the most rusted muffler i never see :shock:

Comment

just go buy the right one for about $80 can and also get the little gasket .
              or rob the parts car if you want to save cash.
              shayne

Comment

For $80 he can get the lifetime warranty one from Autozone or Advance!
                But for about $25 can get one with 1 year warranty, the gasket, and Stainless steel nuts and bolts. Get the SS stuff 'cause in 2-3 years you will be replacing the muffler again and likely before that you will be replacing the mid-pipe (between muffler and Cat. converter).
                Also, even if you bought the lifetime warrantied muffler you'd be changing it because the parts are exactly the same just the warranty is different.
                You can extend the life of both the muffler and mid-pipe by cleaning off the new parts with a solvent and putting a coat or 3 of high temp black (or your fav color) paint, but make sure its the kind that will cure at the temp of the exhaust or without heat!
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

not to sidetrack this thread but here at canadian tire they kind of rip you off on so called lifetime.
                  you can get brake pads for $20 they are the bottem end pads then for $35 get good pads with 1 year warranty or $45 for lifetime BUT they have to install them for $25 and when they are worn you just pay another $25 for them to install the new ones.
                  so i always get the mid line ones and do it myself.

shayne

Comment

I just replaced mine. Got it from Advance Auto for about $30.
                    It would cost you that much just to get a muffler shop to put a straight pipe on there with the hangers.
                    And you can't just take the muffler off because there wouldn't be anything to hold the exhaust pipe in front of it up.
                    ~Jeff
                    1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                    1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                    2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

i don't know if i can just replace the muffler because where the front exhaust pipe connects to the muffler both parts are partially rusted. i'll try and take some more pics tonight or tomorrow to give everyone a better idea what's wrong. what comes w/ the muffler at a parts store? is it just the muffler part or is anything included w/ it? thanks.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Working...
                      X