Oil leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak question

As some of you may know I had a major oil leak from an incorrectly installed oil pan gasket (my fault). I've put things back together with sealant only in the places indicated in the factory service manual and torqued the bolts to spec.

Here's the issue... after running the engine a few minutes a visible stream of oil appears at the transmission end of the oil pan where it goes under the rear main seal retainer. I'm hoping that it's just a case of a misaligned pan gasket which I'll be working on this afternoon. Now here's the question...having run the engine very low on oil (the oil light was flickering) what are the chances that the rear main seal was damaged and needs replacing?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Turns out that the gasket had slipped inside the pan at the transmission end. Glad I don't have to change the rear seal.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Good to hear Ian!

-Scott
      Aqua 93 L
      Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
      White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I am glad that is all it was. Maybe I will luck out and that will be my problem also.

Only 3 weeks until Westiva.

Comment

Took the car for a spin and no more leak....
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X