Transmission fluid check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission fluid check

hello everyone new to this forum but had my 1988 ford festiva L- 4 speed for a while wondering how to check the transmission fluid level. i recently had two axles changed and mechanic told me to refill since some spilled out when axles were changed now but failed to mention the refill hole is behind the speedometer cable(that was fun trying to figure out and get to) so i refilled about 1.25 quarts(thats what mechanic told me to fill) with some mercon fluid but i don't know how to check if its too much or too little.i cant seem to find any marks or notches anywhere on anything. another mechanic fill it up all the way until i can place my thumb over over fill hole and just touch the fluid not sure if thats right but was wondering if any one can help me out in trying to figure this out any help is greatly appreciated thanks everyone

The marks are on the speedo gear. Toward the top there is a mark that slightly resembles stairs. You want to fill it between those stairs. Its pretty tough to see the fluid but not impossible.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

thanks chobo ill pull it out tomorrow and check it really good i looked today at it and didn't see anything on there i checked really good but maybe i missed it there was a small hole at the upper part of the gear but i didnt think that was it.thanks for the advice

Comment

Is awkward until you've done it a few times. With numerous extensions on a rachet and 10mm socket you can reach straight down from up top of the engine to undo the retaining bolt. You can also get your arm in through the cables and hoses from above in order to twist and or wiggle the sending unit in order to pull it out. The unit will be hard to get out first time around due to corrosion and crud.
        I had to refill my tranny yesterday so the technique I'm describing is still very fresh in my mind. Manual trannys call for Mercon ATF (total capacity 2.5 litres) believe it or not but there are folks on here that have had good luck substituting other tranny fluids.
        A length of hose and a small funnel are needed if you don't want to make a mess!
        Last edited by Bert; 06-22-2013, 06:14 AM. Reason: Not quite done!

Comment

Yup it's kind of a pain to put fluid in them

Even worse when you think the AWD trans fills the same as the FWD trans, then you fight with the speedo gear for an hour just to find out the fill location is at the front of the tranny..... Ya..... FML

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Be VERY careful putting the screw that holds it to the tranny back in. I broke the ear off one & had to buy a replcement from a fourm member. I hand tightened the new one then just snugged it up a little with a rachet. Its a pain. I had to fill it with 1.5 qts also. I had only 1 CV axel replaced. The manuel says "Don't Overfill". You need to get a shop manuel on e-bay, fairly cheap. It shows all the strange stuff that needs to be done to our Festys. I uased Royal Purple MaxATF , its a multi gradefluide for high mileage trannys.
            If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

ok guys found the marking after staring at it for a couple of minutes, filled it to the middle mark to indicate full and put everything back together thanks everyone for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
                . I used Royal Purple MaxATF , its a multi grade fluid for high mileage trannys.
                Good thinking, I did the same thing! But this stuff ain't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  Good thinking, I did the same thing! But this stuff ain't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
                  $15.95 a qt. at pep-boys, I had a 10% off coupon. Expensive, but with it being a qt. & a half low, worth it. Also put in a bottle (6oz.) of Z-Max Trans stuff. Don't want ANY problems with the Transaxle. I thought this would be cheaper than a tranny replacement or repair.
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                  X