CV Axle ABS Sensor Ring Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Axle ABS Sensor Ring Removal

I just got left CV Axle Part number EMPI 80-2411 from RockAuto parts and it has an ABS sensor ring on it.
    Can I leave the sensor ring on, or if it should be removed, how is the best way to remove it.

I've left them on when not needed.
    1st time knocked it off.
    2nd time didn't care and left it.

Just a cog for magnet to pick up.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

If there is plenty of clearance at the steering knuckle, I'll just leave it on.
      Thanks

Comment

The ring itself shouldn't hurt anything. Is this supposed to be for a festiva? I've never seen a festiva one with an ABS ring, only the Aspire ones. But maybe its something new I just haven't run across yet. At any rate I would check the compressed length of the new one against the compressed length of the old just to make sure before installing.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

X2 ^
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The Aspire abs rings work fine in festiva knuckles. The compressed length is still too short though..
            Last edited by Movin; 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              The ring itself shouldn't hurt anything. Is this supposed to be for a festiva? I've never seen a festiva one with an ABS ring, only the Aspire ones. But maybe its something new I just haven't run across yet. At any rate I would check the compressed length of the new one against the compressed length of the old just to make sure before installing.
              I've never seen one with the ring on it either.
              If you look up the left CV axles for Festivas on the Rock Auto parts web site you will find Part number EMPI 80-2411 is the left axle for a manual transmission.
              This is what I order and it arrived with the toner ring. Apparently this mfg is putting them on for some reason. I called Rock Auto parts about it and
              they said it is the correct one, it just has a toner ring on it. The shaft diameter is also larger but it has the correct splines on the trans input and on the spindle length is the same and the nut is also correct.
              Last edited by 1990new; 06-28-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Just take a hammer and tap the ring off if you can.
                No need for extra rotational mass
                Last edited by rmoltis; 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

If the shaft diameter is larger, it's an aspire axle...I'm betting it will work anyway, keep us posted! the inner cv cups will be slightly different but I think they compress to the same length, the difference is the aspire axle will extend further....like i said keep me posted I've been meaning to swap an aspire axle into my festy for a week or better and still haven't been able to get around to it.

/e just saw movin's post, maybe it won't work.. I still want to try!!
                  Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-28-2013, 12:02 PM.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

It will work, I am joking about my own set up..not stock by any means. You are right , the aspire is functionally the same in all respects, with or without the ring as the original festiva one is. The different inner CV enables a longer stretch, but not enough for me, until I build a twin I beam front suspension!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the good info about CV axles..
                      So since it's just extra weight being hauled around, I'm going to attempt to knock the ring off before I install the axle.

At the moment though I'm not sure when that will be. I got the axle for the Aqua which had been making a clicking
                      noise when I turned sharp right, but now the noise has suddenly stopped. The boots are still in tack with no leaking grease.
                      So I'm going to wait and see if it starts up again.

Anyone else experienced this?
                      Last edited by 1990new; 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X