Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhaul

I found a festiva with 352000 on it 4 speed. Guy said it smokes but only want $600. How hard are those motors to overhaul and what's a price range?

I've done some engine work but nothing like over hauling one.

I personally feel it's too much. I would play hardball and offer only $200. Tell him it's ready for the junkyard and you can't get any more parts for a 25 year old car. But that's just me. I wouldn't rebuild the B3. I would rebuild a B6, drop it in, and burn past his place laughing.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Smoke could be simple thing like blocked PCV or rotted away valve seals. Wet and dry compression test (before you buy) will make any decision easier.

If it has an OEM 4 speed then you have a Mazda B3 carb engine. Save your shekels and start looking for a carbed B6 (1.6 litre) to play with. They have 20 more hp. Lots of mid to late 80s Mazdas had them and they swap direct into a Festy. Shouldn't be too hard to find a lo-mile little old lady well-cared for rusty 323 sedan for $200-500. A little more work but if that particular B6 has a 5 speed mated to it you can swap that in too!

Lots of helpful forum members and likely one located near you. So: first off where do you live?

Comment

Logan, IF you're going to overhaul the B3, you CAN do it in the car (not removing the block) provided the cylinder walls are true and not scored. a little head work will up the output for next to nothing.

noteing that you have a carb, that means that there's no rev limiter and you should take advantage of that. re-tune the carb secondary jet. rev the crap out of it.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm in western ky.

Comment

Working...
          X