Weird symptoms during this rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird symptoms during this rain

So I'm leaving work in the pouring rain and crank the festy and the alternator is squealing like a stuck pig. I figure no big deal with the wet weather and its tendency to loosen up. I get Bout halfway home and stop at a redlight and there is smoke coming from under the hood. I cannot smell anything electrical or otherwise.Belt is still squealing. There is no overheating. Gauge is fine. The only thing I can think of would be steam from the rain hitting the engine. I do have a faulty relay on my drivers headlight but I'm stumped right now. Sorry for the long post. I'm probably being to cautious about this but I'm just wondering if anything rings a bell to you guys. Thanks in advance

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
    90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Sounds to me like the bearings in the alternator are seized or have stiffened right up. This would smoke your belt whenever it got a bit of water lubrication. Undo the belt and see how easy it is to turn the pulleys.

Comment

Last time I remember something similar to that was in a 626, the belt would never stop squeeling(on startup) and I would loosen it, tighten it, loosen and tighten to try to find a good spot where it didn't squeel. I though it was the alternator but when it finally went and the car broke down it turned out to be the water pump.
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-09-2013, 07:12 AM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        I thought it was the alternator but when it finally went and the car broke down it turned out to be the water pump.
        That would do it! Surprised the pump didn't let you know by leaking all over the place in advance, though.

Comment

^ seals could still be good....

remove the belt and turn the WP and Alt pullies by hand. wiggle them side to side. one of them isn't gonna feel right. fix that one.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Checked the alternator and water pump today. Good and tight with hardly any play and smooth when you spin them with hardly any resistance. Tightened the belt up and will keep an eye on it. The smoke just really through me off this morning. Thanks for the help guys

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
            90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Working...
            X