Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run a/c without a idler pulley as long as you have a smaller belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
    You might want to look at an aspire Idler pulley, it has the ribbed belt pulley.

It looks to be about the same size bracket and the offset of the pulley seems to be close. Im looking at both of them right now lol. The main difference is the festiva bracket looks a little beefier and it uses a smaller bolt.
    Alright, Aspire bracket should be a little easier to find.

But would a ribbed pulley bolt to a Festiva bracket?
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

in theory yes. The aspire bracket bolts right up though. i modified one to work with my festiva when i was trying to find an idler pulley.

It worked for around 8k miles, then the tension bolt snapped in half. I do not think it was the fault of the bracket though. I think that i had the pulley in there a little crooked.

lemme look around for a second and see if i can find all the pieces to them both.

Edit.
      All i can find right now is the two brackets. I think i sold the rest of the pieces of the aspire pulley.
      Last edited by Chobobulous; 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM.
      91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
      06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

in theory yes. The aspire bracket bolts right up though. i modified one to work with my festiva when i was trying to find an idler pulley.

It worked for around 8k miles, then the tension bolt snapped in half. I do not think it was the fault of the bracket though. I think that i had the pulley in there a little crooked.

lemme look around for a second and see if i can find all the pieces to them both.

Edit.
        All i can find right now is the two brackets. I think i sold the rest of the pieces of the aspire pulley.
        Alright, thank you for checking. I will bite the bullet, and buy an idler pulley bracket, and pulley for an Aspire.
        If what you say is true, and the offset is the same, it should work.

Comment

Here are some pics to compare. The one that looks more heavy duty belongs to a festiva.
          Attached Files
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

They look pretty much identical, just one is beefier then the other.

Dude, I thank you yet again for going through all this trouble.

You have been a massive help.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I would think it would. but i am not 100 percent sure. They just look really close. Worst case, you could add a little offset with a couple washers.

Just go get the power steering pump out of an aspire or a 323 or something haha.

I found it interesting how the Bracket got so much wimpier for the aspire, but the bolt for tightening the pulley got thicker.
              I wonder if it was a way to save a little money.
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I would think it would. but i am not 100 percent sure. They just look really close. Worst case, you could add a little offset with a couple washers.

Just go get the power steering pump out of an aspire or a 323 or something haha.

I found it interesting how the Bracket got so much wimpier for the aspire, but the bolt for tightening the pulley got thicker.
                I wonder if it was a way to save a little money.
                lol, that's an idea.

Now was there factory, and dealer installed a/c in Aspires? Or was it only factory, or nothing for the Aspire?

Comment

No idea. Maybe you could tell at FA.com?

I would go out on a limb and say there probably were dealer installed ones though. If not dealer installed then aftermarket for sure.

I have seen dealer, factory and aftermarket on a festy
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Yeah, rockauto list pulleys for Dealer, and factory, so yes there is.

*sigh*

Why couldn't they just use one system and stick to it? why did they have to %$#@ with it?

Comment

Lol gotta make them dollars
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

You could do that providing you find the correct length belt. The only thing is it would be a bit difficult to walk it on the pulleys and you would have no room for adjustment for stretching and wear. Many newer vehicles have done away with tensioners altogether and are using a "stretchy" belt. The tools to install them are kind of a pain and I usually just zip tie it to the crank pulley and turn it to walk it on.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                        Tim
                        '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
                        '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
                        '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
                        '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
                        '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
                        '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
                        '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
                        '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

yeah, next time at work I will go through the belts and see what I can find, but I have serious doubt they make a ribbed belt that small.

Comment

So about what length belt do you think it would need?

Looking through dayco's serpentine belt catalog, and using the dimension search, the smallest I could find is a 24inch 4ribbed belt.

Would that be small enough?

Comment

Wrap a string around the pulleys and mark where one end touches the rope when it is as tight as you can get it. That'll get you as close as possible.
                              -Bryant

Comment

Working...
                              X