Questions about engine mounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about engine mounts.

So tonight I was driving to the bank. When I got to the bank I was using the atm and I heard this rattling. I thought to myself ,crap now I have to pull out more money for parts.

I got over to the gas station popped the hood and saw the air con bracket had rattled loose. I also noticed the drivers side of the engine is shaking pretty hard. When placed in gear and if you let the clutch up the engine will buck 2-3 inches. I'm thinking that's not normal. Your thoughts?

I've read that oil an antifreeze will destroy an engine mounts rubber. My valve cover has been leaking for some time now. Not enough to make me low on oil, I'll drive3000 miles and still I'll have pretty much four Quarts, but just enough to coat the block with a thin film of oil. I know I need to get this fixed, could it be why the mount gave out or is it more likely just because the rubber is 22 years old now.

Now I'm wondering if all that rattling is why my inner tie rods are starting to go. I'm thinking not but stranger things have happened.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

It's old, everything is starting to go. It could have affected tie rods, or it could ce a coincidence. It will end up ruining the cv boots and cv axles, and other brackets on the engine.
    Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
    Icetiva-3-race-car-build
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

So i tore into it a little bit today.

On the bracket that holds the compressor.

The bolt that goes in the middle was backed off about aquarter inch. The bolt that goes in the exhaust side was stripped out and the bolt that goes on the side by the oil pan was completely missing!!!!!!!

Does anyone have that bolt size handy?

Man i need to get this shaking under control
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

So today i went ahead and ordered a new valve cover gasket set, some new engine mounts and a new set of Moog inner tie rods.

If all goes amazingly the new valve cover gasket will take care of the seepage. The new engine mounts will take care of the rockage and the new inner tie rods will take care of some shakeage.

With the valve cover gasket is it better to get one like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...67257_57143_0_

or one like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_206583_6534_

I ordered them both for now. I will just return the one i don't use.
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Mine was partially sreipped as well. I bought new large shoulder bolts with square heads as part of the group buy.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 07-21-2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

So i got my new moog inner tie rod ends. First thing i noticed is that its tighter than the ebay brand i bought. Its also alot heavier. So that's good. Another thing i noticed is there is no grease on the balljoint at all. Should i put a little on there before installation?
            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Ive decided to pull another valve cover to clean it all up in prep for the vc gasket. It looks as though mine has a bunch of little tiny cracks. Not enough to go all the way through but they are there.

Come to think of it all the aluminum has that on my car. Is it normal?
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                Ive decided to pull another valve cover to clean it all up in prep for the vc gasket. It looks as though mine has a bunch of little tiny cracks. Not enough to go all the way through but they are there.

Come to think of it all the aluminum has that on my car. Is it normal?
                Casting, looks ugly.

Holds moistire/oil too. I washed mine down with a sprayer that'll dip into solvent, so I used gasoline as it'll dry without residue, but cut oil/grease.

Teased the block/gear box/vc/intake/whatever with torch, you can litterly chase and push water/moisture out of the material.

I did that, dry and nice and warm, paint sticks niiiiiice.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Well in that case ill still get a new one, for simplicity sake. That and speed. I live in this stupid desert. Sand everywhere. If i can have a vc Ready to go it will make my life easier me thinks.
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post

With the valve cover gasket is it better to get one like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...67257_57143_0_

or one like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_206583_6534_

I ordered them both for now. I will just return the one i don't use.
                    I'd say get the Fel-Pro gasket.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

But it dosent come with the gasket for the middle thing. Should I redo that too while I have it apart.
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

By "middle thing" do you mean the baffle that screws into the roof of the valve cover?
                        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

I'm going to assume you meant the baffle

If you plan on cleaning it well then I would remove the baffle and clean that area as well. You'd be amazed how much crap builds up in that area. I'll post some pics. Most valve cover gasket sets don't come with the gasket for the baffle. I always use a thin skim of black RTV or Permatex Right Stuff to replace it. No worries because many of the later valve covers came from the factory with sealant in this area instead of a paper gasket. Also, use some blue medium or low strength Loctite on the screws to ensure they don't back out and fall into the engine. You can also use some of the sealant, it makes a pretty good thread locker on a pinch. One more thing, when applying the sealant; look at the witness marks on the baffle and only apply it to where the baffle touches the valve cover so you don't block off any of the areas where it needs to vent.

Here's a B6 valve cover after hot tanking. Looks pretty clean right?

Here's what was left under the baffle:

Last edited by Zanzer; 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM.

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

You are correct Zanzer i ment the baffle. Oh wow that looks pretty cruddy. I will want to clean that for sure. Thanks for all of the help zanzer. I especially liked the photos. I will also be using the felpro gasket! Bad news. Only one carbed festy in my yard..... well off to the For sale Column.....
                            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Glad I could help

There should be someone on here with the VC you need. Actually, I should have one or two carbed covers laying around. You may be able to use an EFI cover on your car. I know there are some slight differences and the carb cover doesn't like an EFI motor due to the HLA rockers but I've never tried it the other way around to see if it works. I'm thinking it should though since a hydraulic rocker VC has a little more room between the baffle and valve train.

Someone please correct me if you're tried this and it doesn't work.

EDIT: ^^ Disregard this because I can't read a signature :mrgreen:
                              Last edited by Zanzer; 07-23-2013, 11:25 PM.

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X