89 carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 carb issue

hi guys, first post. went and took a look at a 89 today with the 4 speed. started up after we jumped it but when you really try to give it any gas besides a little to get going she wants to buck and bog. gas gauge was on E so i think that could be a problem but not sure. should i put sea foam or just take it off and bring it in to be cleaned? killed it once but she fired right back up. any ideas, i guess it has been sitting but i cant remember for how long.

put a webber carb on it if you do not have to pass emissions,easy and you get rid of all the stuff that makes it run bad. search webber swap on here and you will find what you need

Comment

But first, put some gas in the tank and change the fuel filter. If it was low on gas it will have sucked up junk from the bottom of the tank into the filter. Then give it a try.

But yes, I do like Webers.

Josh, post your location. Might be nearby members who can be of assistance.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

But first, put some gas in the tank and change the fuel filter. If it was low on gas it will have sucked up junk from the bottom of the tank into the filter. Then give it a try.

But yes, I do like Webers.

Josh, post your location. Might be nearby members who can be of assistance. You can go to your name at the top of the page, then click on the "About Me" tab to add your location, and other info you care to add.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I can't say what's causing the problem but one thing to check for loose, missing, or cracked hoses for vaccum leaks.
          I use a hand held vaccum guage for engine diagnosis.
          Another thing I do is sparay carb cleaner into the carburetor once a year. Used to be the engine had to be warmed up
          but the stuff I have now says spray into cold carburetor.
          Hope that helps.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok. Was thinking of spraying in too while sea foam Is running through. Has new fuel filter, tires, brakes ( just need to be bled) and small crack in windshield ( 140 at rock auto) only for 425. Btw, I'm in central minn near Fargo,nd.

Comment

btw, 212k and co worker thinks acceleration pump.

Comment

If you do not have carb rebuilding experience it might be better to replace the carb. There will be a lot more little things that carb needs than just the pump. If that isn't an option you could try pulling the carb off and removing the bowl cover and squirting carb cleaner through every hole you can find. Unscrew anything brass and squirt, then put right back. On any screw that is an adjustment count the turns from where it is at so you can return to the proper setting after cleaning. This isn't kitting or better rebuilding a carb, just some easy stuff to try and get better running for cheap.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

never on car carbs but plenty on small engines ( darn finicky snowmobiles) im gonna upload a video once i get it home then try that stuff. how hard is it to remove these carbs, heard their a pita.

Comment

the hard part is the many vac hoses... the carb itself is easy: 4 nuts, throttle linkage and load comp linkage and fuel line.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Alright, I'll just take pics and label everything. Any tips or tricks I should know?

Comment

have several lengths of different thickness' of wire... and PB Blast to soak the vac lines that are difficult to remove.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If you are going to overhaual the carb the philips screws on top can be tight and it's easy to ruin the heads. I applied a little penetrating oil and grabbed the heads of the screws tight with big fencing pliers to twist and get started. Another thing I do with tight Philips screws is use the a screw driver tip on a rachet driver for socket wrenches to apply more pressure and levererage so as not to damage the heads. If you get those screws starated while the carb is still on the engine it would be more stable to work on them. Good luck.
                          Last edited by WmWatt; 07-20-2013, 12:31 PM.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

alright thanks. i just got it home about an hour ago. shifts awesome and starts just gotta find that sweet spot where it wont bog. but i noticed that it wont always do it. thinking run some seafoam till i get the $ to do it. i have a coworker that will do it for about the price of the kit. now to just bleed the brakes. bleeders look like brand new so i should have it soon. btw, she knocked $50 of because it does need a new battery. pics tomorrow.

Comment

well, i looked deeper inside carb and saw a small kernel of corn down there. couldnt grab it but buying hemostats tonight and ill have the gaskets tomorrow and tuesday to take it off. i have pics just waiting on photobucket to upload.

Comment

Working...
                              X