No announcement yet.

clicking, ticking noise.... any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clicking, ticking noise.... any ideas?

Just got the transmission swapped out Thursday and have put about 100 miles on it. Now it has developed a clicking, ticking noise. Could the engine oil level create this if it is a little high? Any information appreciated. Thanks!

Low oil will deffinately cause it. If your oil is high drain some out. Dont drive it while its over the recomended level on the dip stick. Jimmy!!
    91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

What weight oil do you run in your festy?

Comment

To add on to jesseratc.. Too much oil can cause the crank to whip it into foam and not get pumped back up to the top. No oil = ticking lifters.

If your engine doesn't leak any oil, a seafoam treatment could do some good for your hydraulic lash adjusters. Sometimes they get gummed up and don't fill, allowing some space between the valve and rocker. Seafoam will pull out any hydration too, especially good if you're just getting it back on the road.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I just changed the oil and put 5-30 in it Thursday. About an hour ago I drained out a quart and added a quart of Lucas to it. I haven't driven much, but it hasn't helped any yet.

Comment

in the summer time you should run 10w-30. save the 5w for winter.
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Could that be the problem? It didn't start til I changed the oil (put about 75 miles on the new oil)
              Last edited by DaleInTN; 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

If it hasn't ran in awhile a couple days for worn engines and a few weeks for broke in engines. It will tick. Put some miles on it.

I've had several b6t's do this to me. It's because the hydraulic lifters. Takes time to get them completely filled with oil.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

UPDATE

I drained out 1 quart of the oil and added a quart of Lucas. That fixed it! It sat for about 14 hr and when I started it up, no ticking. Hopefully that took care of the problem til the next oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    in the summer time you should run 10w-30. save the 5w for winter.
                    I run 5w30 all the time.....Not good eh?
                    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

5W30 is fine. Ford (and other manufactures) sent out a TSB a few years back stating that all their engines should be run with a 5W oil (although some of this is due to CAFE numbers and a somewhat hokey 5W20 mandate). I run 5W20 in the winter and 5W30 in the summer to account for the higher temperatures. If the weather is moderate where you are then 5W30 year round should be fine. 5W is especially better for OHC engines like ours that don't have cam bearing inserts and needs to see oil pressure soon.
                      Last edited by Zanzer; 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM.
                      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

In the summer the weather is ah like 100ish. The winters get down to 70ish. Brrrrrrr No humidity though. So thats good.
                        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

You're fine with 5W30 then. I actually run 5W30 year round in my MS3 turbo car due to the extra oil heat generated by the turbo.
                          Last edited by Zanzer; 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM.

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Thanks Again!
                            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

No problem :thumbup:

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X