Sticking valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking valves

What's a good treatment for sticking valves?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Define sticking?

Valve guides wear out, so doubtful they're binding.

If it hangs open, you'll have a miss.

Starter has torque enough to push them open, but sometimes if they're gooey spring won't return them to seat.

I'm certain a recently running engine will never develope 'sticky' valves......

You sure your not confused with sloppy lash? If it's solid attsck it with a feeler gauge.

If it's something that's been sitting around, take valves out, wire wheel them shiney, and soak the guides in gasoline, and compress air them clean.

Rust, now that's another story.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
    Last edited by jason_; 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      What's a good treatment for sticking valves?
      jason has a very good response. May well be that the valve springs in your car have lost their tension (25 years old!) and no amount of Seafoam will correct your problem. Jobbers sometimes have rebuilt heads in stock and if you're going to undertake such a venture (the parts are/were cheap, labour is the killer) then maybe now is the time to try to find an Aspire B3 with roller rockers.

Comment

Vacuum guide guide says random small drops could be ignition or "sticky valves". Cleaning ignition compnents and installing new ignition module did not eliminate random missing so l considering "top end"(?) treatment. Used oil additive before to remove carbon buildup but you have to change oil right away. I just changed the oil so was wondering about other oil or gas additives. There's quite a selection. Thanks.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X