Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Aspire Airbag light code 52

Hi guys,
    My airbag light just came on, code 52 (Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault).
    Any idea what causes this?
    I need help FAST since I have someone interested in buying the car.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Pu241; 07-26-2013, 11:13 AM.

Jim Grant's Tech Tips Ford, Air Bag Light Flashes 52
    Q: My air bag light on my Ford flashes a code 52 which I have been told is due to a low battery signal. I have replaced the battery and cable but the light still flashes 5 then 2 times when I start and then stays on. Is there a way to reset this or is it a Dealer thing?
    - Larry W.
    A: Sorry to say, you're servicing the wrong battery . In fact, it isn't even a battery it is a capacitor that is located inside the air bag's diagnostic monitor (AKA computer). When you turn the ignition switch on the air bag computer monitors the voltage at this capacitor. Within about 45 seconds there has to be about 23 volts (yes 23 volts) present. In the air bag computer there is a voltage boost circuit that provides the extra kick to turn the voltage up to that level. The capacitor is a storage device or back-up power supply for the air bag system. If the voltage doesn't reach the correct level the air bag warning light will flash code 52 to alert you that the air bag system is not operating correctly. To find the cause for the failure or bad part will require some diagnostic time.

If you plan to work on your airbag system, exercise extreme caution. Personal injury may result if you accidently deploy an air bag. The airbag system is live all of the time - it is not switched on and off by the key. There are also backup power supplies. The 1989 - 91 system will discharge in about 20 minutes after the battery is disconnected. The service manual says that it must be disconnected to safely work on the vehicle. The 1992+ system will discharge in about one minute after disconnecting the battery. Never attach a self-powered test light to any part of an airbag system. If you want to work on the system, acquire and review a manual that covers servicing of the system. Examples are the Air Bag System Diagnosis training manual from Ford, as well as the shop manuals from Helm.

Be safe my friends.

From the Fprd Ranger Forum:
    I pushed the driver's seat all the way forward, reached under the back of the driver's seat, unclipped the wire-harness from the seat, pushed the tab, pulled the plug apart, scraped the 4 pins with a tiny screw driver (sure not to short any pins just in case), plugged it back in and the air bag light worked properly... ahh nice easy free fix.

10/30/10 17:32
    Reid

I don't know what happened to the solution I posted, but I cleaned the plug under the drivers seat.
    11/03/10 01:56
    jorge

Thanks a lot guys!! "I tried the harness under the driver seat and the light still came on. I tried the harness under the passenger seat and the light went off." this works for me!!!
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Where is your airbag computer located?

A shop manual will greatly increase the resale value of your car.

If it were me, I would personally wait an hour after disconnecting the battery, before unplugging and checking for terminal corrosion on the airbag pins or whether there is a kink in the wire, etc.

Good luck.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I have no idea where the airbag computer is located.

Comment

Its right under the radio and easy to change. But you need to find the short before you replace the module.(I believe a code 52 is from a short) Otherwise you will just blow the Air Bag Module internal fuse and they aren't serviceable
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I do a lot of air bag work but have yet to see a short cause module failure. The closest thing to it besides firing was a module with too many incidents to reset.

If you are connector cleaning remember to stay grounded yourself so that static electricity does not fire a safety devise or ruin delicate electronics.

Never work where an airbag or retractor can reach you. Never test connectors with an ohm meter unless all devises are disconnected.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
              I do a lot of air bag work but have yet to see a short cause module failure. The closest thing to it besides firing was a module with too many incidents to reset.

If you are connector cleaning remember to stay grounded yourself so that static electricity does not fire a safety devise or ruin delicate electronics.

Never work where an airbag or retractor can reach you. Never test connectors with an ohm meter unless all devises are disconnected.
              Sorry but the Aspire has a fuse inside the Module that isnt serviceable. If you have a short it blows,this prevents the AIR Bag from deploying.

Comment

I still think it is part of the firing circuit. Any code 50 something..replace the module, the clock spring and the airbag. I have found lots of shorted circuits..AFTER the airbag blew or attempted to do so.

LOL we are talking the same thing just different ways of looking at it. Be careful of doing something the equivalent of duct taping seat belts. If the airbag loom is damaged it must be replaced as well with the exception of manufacturer supplied repair kits. You can do anything you want to your own car with the exception of restraint systems, you can get a ticket for mods or repairs that are not factory produced unless a government authority has signed off on the change or repair.

Probably the safest thing to do would be to un hook the car battery for a good bit then remove the module. Leave it that way and disclose that the airbag system is not working. Perhaps age or water killed the module, you guys get that, we do not around here.
                Last edited by Movin; 07-27-2013, 12:37 AM.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by lovemyfesty View Post
                  Hi guys,
                  My airbag light just came on, code 52 (Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault).
                  Any idea what causes this?
                  I need help FAST since I have someone interested in buying the car.
                  Thanks for any help.
                  The Capacitors arent servicable that provide the back up. There is a specific test that you can perform to see if its a wiring issue for a 52 code. Or if you want just install a used Module. If its throwing a 52 code you cant damage the module. If its throwing a code 51 you can damage the internal thermal fuse (non-servicable),if you don't correct the short to ground.

Comment

Working...
                  X