Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter

I have been reading about the short shifter and read about a spring. Well when I took min apart to look at it all it had was a rubber boot on the top of the housing. Should mine have a spring? and a noticed a plastic clip that looked like it had broke, is this what hold the shifter up?

The spring should be there (I've never seen a shifter without one). If that boot is what I'm thinking of, that's what holds your shifter up. The spring should be in there (where the shifter goes in).

If you don't mind making some mods, the Kia Rio shifter bolts right in. It's built better and has a bracket in the back that will guarantee that your shifter will never fall again. You'll need to shorten the linkage to the transmission or locate your shifter back (and maybe use the stock shifter to trans rod).

If you can find one, a Rio short shifter will work without any spring mods.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
      The spring should be there (I've never seen a shifter without one). If that boot is what I'm thinking of, that's what holds your shifter up. The spring should be in there (where the shifter goes in).

If you don't mind making some mods, the Kia Rio shifter bolts right in. It's built better and has a bracket in the back that will guarantee that your shifter will never fall again. You'll need to shorten the linkage to the transmission or locate your shifter back (and maybe use the stock shifter to trans rod).

If you can find one, a Rio short shifter will work without any spring mods.
      The problem is the shifter falling out of the housing. I didn't notice a spring when pulling it back up. When can you buy a rio shifter

Comment

this what you might be looking for: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...alling-shifter

the p.o. of mine did this and it works well.
        1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
          this what you might be looking for: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...alling-shifter

the p.o. of mine did this and it works well.
          I've looked at that and it's not the housing falling out of the floorboard.

Comment

oh. my bad
            1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374876182.522558.jpgIt's almost as if the lip that the shift sets on the gone but the silver housing is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
                [ATTACH]13411[/ATTACH]It's almost as if the lip that the shift sets on the gone but the silver housing is fine.
                Logan that pic is flipped... if you could see the other side you would see the molded rubber "Housing" that is pressed/molded into the round portion of the metal bracket.When the factor "Pressing" and "Molding" fails (the rubber actually has two indents in the bracket that it attaches to). Most people will agree that yours has probably failed in this way.When you looked at your bracket I'm assuming you saw the 4 studs with lock nuts and thought it hasnt failed. But the part that fails is the round portion with the 3 ft long arm that goes to the tranny. Hope this helps.... ps shifter parts are easy to get at KIA and MAZDA. But you will still have to do the "Shifter Mod"The "Shifter Mod" is a sticky just look for it,I believe its called "What to do with a falling shifter" or something like that. All you need is one long skinny bolt with a lock nut. Just dont over tighten it. You want it to hang with a little play.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Ill try to grab some pictures and post them.

Comment

Working...
                  X