The batmobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The batmobile

So I been having some issues with my 91 Festiva. It has been running sorta sluggish the last month or two.When I was changing my oil I decided to also change the spark plugs. I realized one of them had been loose and another one of them was covered in oil.
    I also saw some white colored smoke coming from under the exhaust manifold. I originally thought it was oil I had spilled when I was changing it but it didnt really clear up and its probably been 75 miles since.

What is causing the white smoke and the oily spark plugs?

Thanks for the help everyone and anyone. Im excited to be a part of this forum finally after being invited by a member (red turbo festiva from florida) a year or so ago.

Welcome to the Site!!
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Google "spark plug condition" for analysis of spark plugs.
      Lots of photos and information.

Is the smoke just coming from under the exhaust manifold or also out of the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car?
      If out the back the car is probably burning oil, a sign of worn rings. In that case a compression test would reveal more.
      A compression test is something you can do yourself with an inexpensvie comrpession tester from an auto parts or tools store.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

white "smoke" is typicaly a coolent issue... and you say it's coming from under the exhaust manifold. i suggest you look at the coolent bypass tube that goes from the head to the heater core return line. they have a tendancey to develop pin holes and they typicaly only present themselves under pressure. that's why you don't see leaks otherwise.

that is merely one possibility.

the other option would be a head gasket leak (external).

does the "smoke" smell sweet? or acidic?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Doesn't matter where it leaks or how it's burning oil/coolant.

If you need to add either, and none is on the ground, it's obviously going out the pipe!

Oil covered plug is from either worn rings, or brittle valve seals (I'd gamble valve seals, under good vacuum piston will pull oil past valve stems, which I think they shouldn't run dry anyways)

Coolant, if oil is clean, and can't see any leaks, and you still need to add some occasionally, it's burning it. You can still have combustion and not foul a plug with a seeping gasket. Time until total blowout? I'm still changing plugs in my sbc for the 5th year. I can't justify a sparkplug a month, 1pt of coolant every 4 weeks, to tear down a head.

I just got 8 more 55gal drums of 50/50 antifreeze for free. Farmer changes all his equipment every season. So, used to my advantage. Run it through a screen and good to go.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
          Last edited by jason_; 07-28-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I still didnt get my hands on a compression test kit but I did get some pictures.
            One other thing I forgot to mention was the color of my coolant. I flushed it not that long ago and it was soupy brown when I changed the water pump and timing belt on Monday. Was that rust in my coolant system?

Slow July 082.jpgSlow July 083.jpgSlow July 081.jpg
            Last edited by Batmobile411; 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

yeah it was rust.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X