4 speed to 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed to 5 speed

Is this a direct swap or is there more to it?

Direct swap! Bolt up and go!
    Last edited by drddan; 07-28-2013, 10:55 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

^ boom
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

The only thing that you may have an issue with is pulling the axles.
        Do some searching about the swap and read about the easy way to pull axles!

DO NOT USE FORCE to start things out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Get the knuckles completely out of the way. Keep axles as straight as possible (they bind if hanging or not straight)
        Start off with gentle pulls and "bump" the axles against the "circlip" ring that holds the axles in. (an expandable metal ring in a groove on axleshft)
        Slowly rotate the axles as you do this. You are feeling for the circlip to "find" the spot where "it" wants to come out.
        You DO NOT want to deform that circlip with force by hitting it really hard against the groove it is in. That can cause the circlip to smash and grow bigger, then the axles can be darn near impossible to get out.
        Just ROTATE axle after each bump like a slide hammer..bump...rotate...bump... rotate. Start off easy, getting a tad harder if need be,
        When the axle finds the spot, it should all of a sudden ... POP! ...out.
        I almost fell over backwards the first time I pulled an axle, it hit the spot and wham, bam IT WAS OUT! Wasnt expecting that.

The circlip is a ring of steel, about 1/16 thick wire, bent in a circle. Has a gap in it. The key to it all .... is that gap .......
        When it finds the "spot" where it wants to come out, it will compress that wire circlip enough to close up in the groove and ....POP! ... goes the weasel!!!

Last edited by drddan; 07-28-2013, 11:22 PM.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Drdan, you are not jumping on the message it out gently bandwagon??
          Okay I'll join lol,, I start with two equal pry bars, I get under the shell with both and rock the inner shell from side to side, never entirely letting up on pressure on either bar. Almost all pop right out as the scar on my forehead proves!!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yup! I guess I am!

Do you have a scar shaped like splines? :highly_amused:
            Last edited by drddan; 07-29-2013, 01:56 AM.
            Dan

R.I.P.
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

We should have a an axle pulling contest at Madness. Whoever can do it the fastest wins a pair of axles.:thumbs_up:
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                The only thing that you may have an issue with is pulling the axles.
                Do some searching about the swap and read about the easy way to pull axles!

DO NOT USE FORCE to start things out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Get the knuckles completely out of the way. Keep axles as straight as possible (they bind if hanging or not straight)
                Start off with gentle pulls and "bump" the axles against the "circlip" ring that holds the axles in. (an expandable metal ring in a groove on axleshft)
                Slowly rotate the axles as you do this. You are feeling for the circlip to "find" the spot where "it" wants to come out.
                You DO NOT want to deform that circlip with force by hitting it really hard against the groove it is in. That can cause the circlip to smash and grow bigger, then the axles can be darn near impossible to get out.
                Just ROTATE axle after each bump like a slide hammer..bump...rotate...bump... rotate. Start off easy, getting a tad harder if need be,
                When the axle finds the spot, it should all of a sudden ... POP! ...out.
                I almost fell over backwards the first time I pulled an axle, it hit the spot and wham, bam IT WAS OUT! Wasnt expecting that.

The circlip is a ring of steel, about 1/16 thick wire, bent in a circle. Has a gap in it. The key to it all .... is that gap .......
                When it finds the "spot" where it wants to come out, it will compress that wire circlip enough to close up in the groove and ....POP! ... goes the weasel!!!

Ok now another question what's a good price to pay for one?

Comment

i bought a new axle installed it and went to remove to do my rebuild and when i pulled it it popped right out with little strength but also pulled right out of inner joint and the other part was still in transmission. lol
                  good thing it was under warrantee.
                  ;
                  www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                  rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                  '92 Festiva L M/T
                  '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                    Yup! I guess I am!

Do you have a scar shaped like splines? :highly_amused:
                    The wife says it looks like a scorpion..
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

and then there are those axles that are so stubborn that they will have you thinking about dynamite.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

What's a fair price to pay for one?

Comment

$100 - $150 max. Some peeps have sold them as low as $75!

Check craigslist around your area.
                          Last edited by drddan; 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
                            What's a fair price to pay for one?
                            Around here, Festivas and Aspires are quite rare. The Aspire trans that I had cost me $300. The Rio trans I just installed was half that.

Check http://www.car-part.com for prices in your area.
                            Last edited by JPT; 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM.
                            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

What happens to the shift indicator light on the dash?
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X