Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 Festiva won't start now.

Hello festiva folks,

Recently I noticed a humming sound coming from what sounds like the rear of the Festiva. When I got home from work the other night the sound seemed to get progressively louder as I was idling. I got out and couldn't determine where the sound was coming from. The next day I hopped in the car and it wouldn't start. It sounded like it was out of gas, but it is not. I suspect the Fuel Pump has failed. I checked the inertia switch and ordered a new fuel pump relay just in case. But I think the problem is with the pump itself. Does anyone have a second opinion?

KeweenawPat

that sounds about right get a hammer a tap on the bottom of gas tank about where the fule pump is then try to crank.
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

^X2 If it starts after tapping it, it is the pump. The humming sound, sounds like the pump
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

Comment

So I gave it a little tap and it sounded so close... but didn't start.
          Then I gave it a big tap and the same thing. It sounds like its just about to roar, but just keeps crankin'.
          On the plus side, the humming sound has been gone since it won't start. With the lack of even a quiet humming sound
          from the pump when I turn the key to engage the electric, I'm thinking the pump might be completely useless now.
          Do you typically hear the fuel pump run just prior to turning the engine?

Comment

Your not going to hear the pump normally, the pump starts to work when the key is turned on and cranking. Pull the line off at the engine, stick the hose in something to catch the ruel, crank the engine, you will know right away if the pump is working or not. Good luck
            Last edited by sc72; 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Or just jumper the two wire plug that is next to a single wire plug and a 6 wire plug, just below the windshield wiper motor. With the key on and the two prongs of that plug jumpered together you should be able to hear the pump come on if the pump and relay are in working order.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
              X