head swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head swap?

so my #4 spark plug shot out of the head today :cry_smile: rendering the hole useless its a 1988 1.3L 5 speed festiva, and I have started looking for another head and found stuff saying aspire heads will work, true or false? also any year or does it have to be a certain one?

Any Aspire head will work but you'll have to run an external electric fuel pump since the Aspire cam doesn't have the eccentric cast into the cam to drive the mechanical fuel pump used on carb cars.

Or, you could swap your cam and rocker assemblies into the Aspire head. That would work too
    Last edited by Zanzer; 08-03-2013, 04:32 AM.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

you can time cert the spark plug hole. I have TWO in my srt-4 right now, and that is a boosted application

stripped out threads, damaged threads, blown out sparkplugs, stripped thread, stripped out theads, helicoils, ford sparkplug repair, repair ford sparkplugs blew out with time-sert, thread repair problems, spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threads got stipped out of ford sparkplug, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts for striped out threads, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

parts and tools were under 50 bucks retail at autozone. I did have to stone grind down a spark plug socket but that is a skinny dohc head tube in my case
      Last edited by getnpsi; 08-03-2013, 05:48 AM.
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
        you can time cert the spark plug hole. I have TWO in my srt-4 right now, and that is a boosted application

stripped out threads, damaged threads, blown out sparkplugs, stripped thread, stripped out theads, helicoils, ford sparkplug repair, repair ford sparkplugs blew out with time-sert, thread repair problems, spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threads got stipped out of ford sparkplug, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts for striped out threads, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

parts and tools were under 50 bucks retail at autozone. I did have to stone grind down a spark plug socket but that is a skinny dohc head tube in my case
        thanks, is it hard to use this tool?

Comment

No but it wouldn't hurt to practise on a junk head first. Cutting threads straight is all you are after. Loctite insert and never seize plug.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

used the helicoil it was really easy.

Comment

Bravo my sir I am definitely not a purist about this little engine I will not take a a head off unless the mileage was ridiculously low. If I have to do more than a helicoil I'm shopping for donors to do an engine swap haha. I will regasket or rebuild engines outside the car all day long but some reason when you're way over 6 feet tall and bent over the engine bay over something tedious the motivation wanes
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                Bravo my sir I am definitely not a purist about this little engine I will not take a a head off unless the mileage was ridiculously low. If I have to do more than a helicoil I'm shopping for donors to do an engine swap haha. I will regasket or rebuild engines outside the car all day long but some reason when you're way over 6 feet tall and bent over the engine bay over something tedious the motivation wanes
                Jack stands! Big ones!

For the head, disco the fuel lines, unplug all the wires, remove intake tubing, disco the manifold at the down pipe, remove rocker cover and head bolts. Pull. Not tedious at all

Helicoil that hole, and figure out why you are shooting out plugs!
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Moore's sells a Cylinder Head for about 180.00 plus core.

Comment

Working...
                  X