Smoking and burning up a storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking and burning up a storm

My poor Festiva has been sitting for a while and Im spinning my wheels on what to do with it. I noticed when it was driving that it was spitting some smoke. I removed the cover and it seems to be coming from the exhaust manifold. I can feel coolant flowing through the radiator hoses. Is the smoke from oil leaving my engine through the exhaust and being burned up there? What are my steps to remedy this problem/what caused it?

On another note if your oil is at the proper level should you be able to see it from the oil port on the top of the motor?

List of Maintenance Ive done recently:
    Oil change
    Replaced T-stat
    Timing belt and water pump replaced
    Replaced drivebelts
    Replaced spark plugs

How much oil did you put in it?!

What does the dipstick read?

How many miles are on the engine?

Too much oil will smoke. Is it efi or carb'ed?
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Is there a hole in the exhaust manifold where the exhaust can leak out? Is smoke seeping out around where the manifold connects to the engine block? Is smoke also coming out the tailpipe at the back of the car?

Oil splashes around under the valve cover as part of the engine lubrication system. If you remove the oil filler cap you will see oil on the metal underneath and maybe on the underside of the cap. It doesn't mean there is too little or too much oil.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Its a 1991 and just over 116,000. I believe I initially overfilled it by a 1/2 a quart. Now the dipstick reads low. Should I just fill it and drive it? Is it the valve seals leaking?

To WmWatt, it seems like that"s where all the smoke is coming from is right where the manifold connects to the engine. A little smoke out the tail pipe but it mostly seems to be burning up right where the exhaust manifold becomes a single tube.

Comment

You wouldn't believe how much smoke one drop of oil will make.

If you over filled it you may have just gotten oil places its not supposed to sit. I would get you oil level correct and drive the car. How can you see inside the exhaust manifold to see where the smoke is coming from? You catalytic converter is likely helping the smoke from the tailpipe.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Valve cover gasket

Comment

Batty: By "where the exhaust manifold becomes a single tube" do you mean where the exhaust manifold connects to the exhaust pipe? If so there may be a gasket there which has started to leak. I'm purely guessing because I have never taken one apart. Good luck.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X