Alternator belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator belt

My belt squeeks on medium to high revs when it rains. Is this a common problem on Festy's?? If not what is the solution??

Thanks.
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Mine does it hit or miss. Make sure the belt is tight. Also might want to make sure the bearings in the alternator don't have to much play. Mine originally had the wrong belt that wasn't seating in the pulley groove and slipping

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
    90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Originally posted by kingstonpygmies View Post
      Mine does it hit or miss. Make sure the belt is tight. Also might want to make sure the bearings in the alternator don't have to much play. Mine originally had the wrong belt that wasn't seating in the pulley groove and slipping

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
      It has a fairly new alternator and belt. Only when it rains is when it squeels when reving. The belt is tight enough too.
      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Most of my fleet of nine (eight running, more or less) Festies squeals at one time or another. I had one recently where I didn't tend to it promptly (probably drove it 500-1000 miles with frequent squealing) and then couldn't stop the squealing no matter how much I tightened the belt. It uptimately threw both the alternator and AC/PS belt.

I'm thinking that if you let one squeal (alternator V belt) enough, it puts some sort of glaze on the belt where no amount of tightening will fix it.

I now tend to the problem at the first sign of squealing and will know if a few months whether that is the better approach.

BTW, I haven't noticed any correlation between rain and squealing.
        Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM.
        88L black, dailydriver
        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg
        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

The battery could be going bad. Mine would squeal when there was a heavy draw on the alternator due to charging needs. Since I bought a new battery it hasn't squealed.
          My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

look for oil contamination....
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Try removing the belt and cleaning the contact surface with fine sandpaper.
              Clean the pulley with mineral spirits (aka universal slovent and paint thinner).
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                look for oil contamination....
                +1
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                  The battery could be going bad. Mine would squeal when there was a heavy draw on the alternator due to charging needs. Since I bought a new battery it hasn't squealed.
                  I've noticed very similar issues, but its not a bad battery, shouldn't be it was new in march.. but 9 times out of 10 when my wife gets out she clicks the bright lights on. Don't know how or why but I am always going home and turning off brights. If they have been on for a long time, like overnight, the alternator will squeel until the car warms up. I stuck a 1000cca battery in to help the 1000w amp make the 12" rockford sub move without burning up an alt, haven't killed the battery yet but we will if she keeps it up.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I just had the same thing happen to me. I was driving in torrential downpour and all of a sudden it started to squeal. It squealed twice before I made it home. I haven't driven my my car (just got the car a few months ago) in such bad weather and definitely blame it on the amount of rain I was driving in.

Comment

Paid $4.99 at Autozone for a new belt. Took me 10 minutes including clean up to change it.

Comment

If it's squealing, and it's tight.. just buy a new belt asap (or better yet, go back to where you bought it and exchange - put that belt on in their parking lot! Yes, I have done this, and I am this cheap.).

I've gone too long on squealing belts before.. went about 5k miles in the Sprint when it finally broke free (continuous tightening, it never stopped). Luckily the parts box the guy gave me was still in the back, with a spare used belt. It was like 17 degrees and 2:30AM when this happened.. on my way to work..

-Joe
                        Last edited by Spike; 12-04-2013, 04:43 AM.
                        White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                        White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                        1988 LX 5-speed
                        ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I have noticed on my Festy if you leave the plastic splash shield off the bottom of the engine compartment on that side, water will get on the belt and make it slip sometimes. But usually the belt is a little worn and replacing it with a new one gets rid of the problem....that or putting the shield back on...

Comment

Anyone converted to serpentine? Kits are made for V8s, but I'm sure it'd be all hacking together for the Festiva. I'd love to.
                            Last edited by sketchman; 12-04-2013, 07:20 AM.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                            X