Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugged automatic transmission vent and/or drain-back holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugged automatic transmission vent and/or drain-back holes?

I've searched the forum for info on my topic and could not find any. If I've missed it I am sorry for posting a repeat question.

I have an 89 Festiva with auto transmission. It's been running a little sluggish the past few days and I thought about checking the trans fluid. Really doesn't want to kick down. Today I had been driving my car about 20 km (about 12 miles) and was definitely up to temp, hot out. I got home and put the car in park and went to check the trans fluid level. No sooner had I loosened the dip stick when the fluid came gushing out. Now I don't know if this is normal if the engine is really hot or there is actually a problem. My Haynes manual says to let it sit for about 30 minutes to get an accurate reading if it is hot but it didn't mention it could be dangerous with scalding fluid. I checked the manual after-the-fact. Anyhow, tried putting back some fluid. It took barely a 1/2 liter and was right up to the top. Seemed it didn't want to take any fluid. It appeared that at least half a liter was on me, the engine and the ground after is gushed out so one would figure it would take at least half a liter.

I started the engine and the trans was whining a bit. It went into forward and reverse no problem. I turned it off right away. A fellow was here and he said that it looked like the trans may have been overfilled but I have not added any fluid to the trans in a very long time and I do not take my vehicle in for servicing, do it myself. So why would it appear to be overfilled? Anyone think it may be the vent and/ or drain-back holes are plugged? Would this make it appear overfilled? Or can it get air-locked inside the transmission not allowing fluid to be put in? Any idea where the vent and drain-back holes are located?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X